Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The NC Republican wisdom of taking away tax free weekend. 
    NC shoppers to migrate to South Carolina for tax-free weekend

ROCK HILL, S.C. — Plenty of North Carolina shoppers are taking their dollars to South Carolina to take advantage of sales tax savings this weekend, according to WSOC-TV.

North Carolina dropped the annual sales tax holiday this summer. That will mean big money for back-to-school retailers across the border.

Nancy Faile came to the Target store in Rock Hill with her back-to-school list. She always waits until this weekend to do her shopping.

“It may not be much, but every little bit you can save helps,” Faile said.

Most shoppers are looking for discounts on clothes, shoes and school supplies, and those items are tax free all weekend.
    So, in our state, the Republican congressmen and especially our Republican governor decided to reduce as many tax breaks as he could from the common people so corporations would could have more tax breaks. That has not shown yet to show improvement in regards to job creation.

What's it's officially doing now is bringing what should be our business over to other states. Well done McCrory! Well done!

For those of you who think it's not a big deal since SC is only one state to take our business.

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm...lothingHoliday

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/salestaxholiday/

http://singleparents.about.com/od/ta...days/qt/GA.htm

To all those who live in SC, VA, GA, and TN, you're welcome.

We also have higher taxes with gas, so people probably go to other states for gas too if they lives close enough. You're welcome guys.

I don't see a sales tax weekend hurting much of anything.

The people shopping will probably spend what they save on sales taxes on gas and eating out.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    I don't see a sales tax weekend hurting much of anything.

The people shopping will probably spend what they save on sales taxes on gas and eating out.
    It becomes a moral, if not financial, victory...
    Just an anger movement, and now it will back-lash against the Republicans that made it so.
    Just waiting for the media out-cry, and the libs will be all over it!
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

Quote Originally Posted by MstrBlue View Post
    It becomes a moral, if not financial, victory...
    Just an anger movement, and now it will back-lash against the Republicans that made it so.
    Just waiting for the media out-cry, and the libs will be all over it!
    The libs won't hold a candle to the people who live here. Shoppers, voters, etc.

The good news is that SC and GA are pretty conservative. I'd like to hope that most of their conservative leaders didn't touch this in their state.

It is a victory for the business involved as they make sales based solely on a 6-9% sale rather than 20-30%. And same store sales usually go down the week before and the week after. Nobody wins.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    It is a victory for the business involved as they make sales based solely on a 6-9% sale rather than 20-30%. And same store sales usually go down the week before and the week after. Nobody wins.
    What it does is give businesses to states outside of NC. That helps those particular Targets and Wal-Marts. It also increases tax revenue for other states because as pointed out, those people might go out to eat after they shop and not everything will qualify for tax free weekend.

McCrory just doesn't see the forest beyond the trees. He really doesn't.

This is supposed to bring businesses. Tell me why businesses would come here if other states are getting our business? Makes no sense to me.

So the entire state loads up and crosses the border for the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    So the entire state loads up and crosses the border for the weekend?
    Think of how many people live near the SC, VA, TN, and GA border. It's a lot more than you think.

Some stores in Concord Mills, NC thought ahead on this by having a killer sale. They're probably 30-40 minutes away from the border.

Also worth noting is that people in NC loooooove to go to Myrtle Beach, SC. They act like they don't have a beach of their own. It would be very easy to plan one of those trips at tax free weekend time.

I don't live there or anywhere near but.... When we have our tax-free weekend, I stay off the streets. Damnest thing I ever seen for an 8% discount.