Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Think of how many people live near the SC, VA, TN, and GA border. It's a lot more than you think.
    Great. So one weekend out of the year, someone drives ninety miles from Asheville to Knoxville to buy a computer and save $29. Hell of a use of $30 worth of gas. The other 363 days of the year, people from Knoxville drive to Cherokee to buy clothes and people from Greeneville drive across the border to go grocery shopping, where the tax is 2% on food rather than 7%.



    Your legislature is right: sales tax "holidays" are a silly, stupid feel-good measure that is nothing but revenue leakage.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.
     

  2. #12  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,754
    Never bother shopping on the tax free days as the sales advertised are never as good as those before or after.

    In Florida the dems are pumping money big time into ads against Gov Scott, primarily accusing him of giving money to big business. I think they forget he's given tax incentives to many businesses to lure them to Florida. The unemployment has gone down here, property values increasing, the entire economy vastly improved.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

    GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW
     

  3. #13  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    I don't see a sales tax weekend hurting much of anything.

    The people shopping will probably spend what they save on sales taxes on gas and eating out.
    Too bad there is not a tax free weekend on gasoline.
     

  4. #14  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    17,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Great. So one weekend out of the year, someone drives ninety miles from Asheville to Knoxville to buy a computer and save $29. Hell of a use of $30 worth of gas. The other 363 days of the year, people from Knoxville drive to Cherokee to buy clothes and people from Greeneville drive across the border to go grocery shopping, where the tax is 2% on food rather than 7%.



    Your legislature is right: sales tax "holidays" are a silly, stupid feel-good measure that is nothing but revenue leakage.
    Meanwhile the smart ones shop at home everyday, online, and usually avoid sales tax 365 days a year.
     

  5. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Too bad there is not a tax free weekend on gasoline.
    No, but NC is known for having higher taxes on that too.

    I don't care if the people in charge are Democrat or Republican. This is the worst possible place for the common person to live.
     

  6. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Great. So one weekend out of the year, someone drives ninety miles from Asheville to Knoxville to buy a computer and save $29. Hell of a use of $30 worth of gas. The other 363 days of the year, people from Knoxville drive to Cherokee to buy clothes and people from Greeneville drive across the border to go grocery shopping, where the tax is 2% on food rather than 7%.



    Your legislature is right: sales tax "holidays" are a silly, stupid feel-good measure that is nothing but revenue leakage.
    First, we have high taxes on everything. I'm sure that includes computers. Second, people don't just get computers. There's a lot to save tax money on. Third, it's also the principal of the matter. Seriously, will some of you all listen to yourselves at times? If it's a tax break for the corporations, then great! If it's a tax break for the common man, then that's just wrong. Do you really not understand why the hard working middle class and working class person doesn't think Republicans are for them? Get on their side a little bit and stop making everything about making things easier for corporations. The odd thing is that if middle class people save more in taxes, they can help out corporations by buying from them. We know corporations need all the help they can get. Hard working parents don't need help at all. We're going to say they have to have the baby, after that, they don't matter. The Republicans are going to reduce their welfare when they need it, their unemployment when they need it. They'll even reduce their tax breaks. Republican Party isn't for the working people. They're ONLY for corporations. I can't believe I'm going to vote for these jerks in November. It's a choice between one unethical party or another and I'm so sick of making that choice. I shouldn't have to.

    If Republicans are going to constantly kick us when we're down (unemployed or whatever), then the LEAST they could do is let us have our tax breaks back instead of giving it to corporations that are NOT bringing more jobs here.

    A toast to Duke Power. They are the most important thing in this state. They should get to rob us as much as they want to and they should do so with Republicans making excuses for them as they write out bigger and bigger checks so they can keep their big tower in the sky in Charlotte lighted. They are a god after all. Sigh.
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    First, we have high taxes on everything. I'm sure that includes computers. Second, people don't just get computers. There's a lot to save tax money on. Third, it's also the principal of the matter. Seriously, will some of you all listen to yourselves at times? If it's a tax break for the corporations, then great! If it's a tax break for the common man, then that's just wrong. Do you really not understand why the hard working middle class and working class person doesn't think Republicans are for them? Get on their side a little bit and stop making everything about making things easier for corporations. The odd thing is that if middle class people save more in taxes, they can help out corporations by buying from them. We know corporations need all the help they can get. Hard working parents don't need help at all. We're going to say they have to have the baby, after that, they don't matter. The Republicans are going to reduce their welfare when they need it, their unemployment when they need it. They'll even reduce their tax breaks. Republican Party isn't for the working people. They're ONLY for corporations. I can't believe I'm going to vote for these jerks in November. It's a choice between one unethical party or another and I'm so sick of making that choice. I shouldn't have to.

    If Republicans are going to constantly kick us when we're down (unemployed or whatever), then the LEAST they could do is let us have our tax breaks back instead of giving it to corporations that are NOT bringing more jobs here.

    A toast to Duke Power. They are the most important thing in this state. They should get to rob us as much as they want to and they should do so with Republicans making excuses for them as they write out bigger and bigger checks so they can keep their big tower in the sky in Charlotte lighted. They are a god after all. Sigh.
    If you don't like Duke Power (now known as Duke Energy), dam up some rivers, build some coal fired electric generating plants, a half dozer nuclear plants.....and get back to us in 30 or 40 years and let us know how you're coming along with the paperwork for all that.

    Obama said energy cost would necessarily rise.....and they have. Probably the only truth he ever spoke.
     

  8. #18  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,535
    The common man and woman need tax breaks of about any kind they can get. In NC or just about anywhere else. But one weekend a year for a few percent is a sales pitch to those who do not understand real taxation.
    Now how about this info?

    New, flat North Carolina tax rate:

    5.75% effective for tax year 2015

    This change was part of the changes made to individual income tax to reform and simplify the State’s tax law. Previously, there were three individual income tax rates of 6%, 7%, and 7.75%, based on filing status and income levels.

    Is that a tax break for the individual? Yep, I think so. Of course you could be like Texas and it be zero but....

    Property tax appears to be similar to TX in some ways but I cannot find real details about the state influence vs county/city.

    The North Carolina state sales tax rate is currently 4.75%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high as 7.25%. County and local taxes in most areas bring the sales tax rate to 6.75% – 7% in most counties but some can be as high as 8 or 8.25%.

    The Tx state sales tax is 6.25% with allowances for county and city addons of a max 2% so the end product in most of the state is the same 8.25% as the NC max.

    Now I don't see the problem really. I don't care if TX keeps or eliminates the tax free weekend. It just keeps me from getting off the home place for 3 days.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
     

  9. #19  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,459
    Corporations don't pay any taxes, the common people that buy their products pay them, built into their purchase.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg
     

  10. #20  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    5,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Corporations don't pay any taxes, the common people that buy their products pay them, built into their purchase.
    You'll never get the left to admit or recognize that fact. All one need do is look at the balance sheets and see where taxes are listed as 'expenses' and therefore are simply a portion of the final price.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •