Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    You'll never get the left to admit or recognize that fact. All one need do is look at the balance sheets and see where taxes are listed as 'expenses' and therefore are simply a portion of the final price.
    When someone does achieve in business the liberals are quick to slap them on the wrist, chastise them and try to take away forcibly as much money as possible.
    One need only look too Missouri right now for a classic example of how liberals view success, the 290 pound black thief choking the store owner is to be honored and held up as an example to young people of what they should be whereas the hard working store owner beaten and robbed is looked down on as trash.
    Welcome to liberal America.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJeb View Post
    If you don't like Duke Power (now known as Duke Energy), dam up some rivers, build some coal fired electric generating plants, a half dozer nuclear plants.....and get back to us in 30 or 40 years and let us know how you're coming along with the paperwork for all that.

Obama said energy cost would necessarily rise.....and they have. Probably the only truth he ever spoke.
    Monopolies are supposed to be illegal. In a truly free market that conservatives want, Duke Power wouldn't have this type of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Monopolies are supposed to be illegal. In a truly free market that conservatives want, Duke Power wouldn't have this type of power.
    You propose that we have several electric companies running power lines side by side to everyone in the country, do you have any idea what kind of easment nightmare that would create, come on Lanie, think about some of these things logically.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    The common man and woman need tax breaks of about any kind they can get. In NC or just about anywhere else. But one weekend a year for a few percent is a sales pitch to those who do not understand real taxation.
    Now how about this info?

New, flat North Carolina tax rate:

5.75% effective for tax year 2015

This change was part of the changes made to individual income tax to reform and simplify the State’s tax law. Previously, there were three individual income tax rates of 6%, 7%, and 7.75%, based on filing status and income levels.

Is that a tax break for the individual? Yep, I think so. Of course you could be like Texas and it be zero but....

Property tax appears to be similar to TX in some ways but I cannot find real details about the state influence vs county/city.

The North Carolina state sales tax rate is currently 4.75%. Depending on local municipalities, the total tax rate can be as high as 7.25%. County and local taxes in most areas bring the sales tax rate to 6.75% – 7% in most counties but some can be as high as 8 or 8.25%.

The Tx state sales tax is 6.25% with allowances for county and city addons of a max 2% so the end product in most of the state is the same 8.25% as the NC max.

Now I don't see the problem really. I don't care if TX keeps or eliminates the tax free weekend. It just keeps me from getting off the home place for 3 days.
    They lowered everybody's income taxes (taxes being taken out of the paycheck every week), but they've found excuses to raise taxes in other areas. For example, parents can no longer get a tax break for their kids once they turn seventeen. Seventeen is still a minor, that's not an adult. But not only that. While seventeen is considered an adult for tax purposes, it's suddenly a minor for voting purposes. Minors used to be able to register to vote ahead of time if they would be eighteen by voting day. Not anymore, and they took away same day voting. That's just hypocrisy at its finest. The state of NC needs to decide whether a seventeen year old is an adult or not. If they're not, then their parents should get the tax breaks. If they are adults, then they should be given all the rights of an adult including voting.

More on the tax changes that took place, which I've talked about before.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.U-_pn8VdWAE

They’ve emphasized the new lower flat rate of 5.8 percent for personal income tax – compared to the outgoing three-tiered system of 6, 7 and almost 7.8 percent – and noted more than 40 credits, exemptions and deductions ultimately will expire or be repealed.
    But gone are valuable tax breaks. Owners of many types of businesses lose a deduction on their first $50,000 of income, while home-related deductions on mortgage interest and property taxes are capped at $20,000 combined. A credit for child care expenses and deductions on certain kinds of pension income are gone.
    Sales taxes are going up on mobile and modular homes and will now be applied to service contracts for appliances and automobiles.
    Who buys a mobile home anyway? Not the rich. Not the higher middle class. Who rents to owns? People with money problems do that. Parents who work hard need child care credits. Instead of giving the mother more of her own money back so she can more easily leave her child at a daycare, they're giving it to the corporation that she works for.

Also set to expire Wednesday is the earned-income tax credit, which gives payments to some of the working poor even if they owe no taxes. The credit’s elimination means some low-income families might have to pay a small tax bill again. The corporate tax rate, meanwhile, will decline from 6.9 percent to 6 percent in 2014. Both personal and corporate income tax rates fall further in 2015.
    Now, I get that if you didn't make the money, you shouldn't have it given back to you at tax time. However, I don't think it's right that the working poor suddenly have to the taxes that they originally didn't have to pay (and therefore struggle harder to pay their bills) just so corporations can get a bigger tax break.

I think that this new law is a &*$% you to all the parents and workers who have worked hard and struggle to pay bills every month. I can go for taking away EIC from people if they didn't pay taxes. Okay, fine. A lot of the rest of this is bull. It's robbing from the working poor and middle class to give to corporations. This tax free weekend is far from the only issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You propose that we have several electric companies running power lines side by side to everyone in the country, do you have any idea what kind of easment nightmare that would create, come on Lanie, think about some of these things logically.
    What would be the problem with that, Rock?

If people thought that Duke Power's prices were too high or if they were being unethical in any other way, they could shop around. Duke Power wouldn't dare go to the state and ask for an increase because they'd know that it would lose them their business. These people are abusing the state of NC. Getting rid of the monopoly would help put an end to that. I sure don't trust Republicans in this state to put an end to that. They're making it worse.

Not to be a total you know what, but I wish more conservatives here would get on the side of the common man some. I really don't feel like you're on our side at all and I take it personally. I suppose I get told off, cussed out, and so forth by some conservatives here because they take my ideas personally. Well, I take your ideas personally too. I'll vote for Tillis in November because the abortion rights thing is out of hand and so is the national security. I feel like Dems are betraying us as a nation. But honestly, I don't think of most Republicans in NC as being on our side. The only Republican here who ever was on our side is retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    When someone does achieve in business the liberals are quick to slap them on the wrist, chastise them and try to take away forcibly as much money as possible.
    One need only look too Missouri right now for a classic example of how liberals view success, the 290 pound black thief choking the store owner is to be honored and held up as an example to young people of what they should be whereas the hard working store owner beaten and robbed is looked down on as trash.
    Welcome to liberal America.
    And yet conservatives in my state are the ones who stopped exemptions for small businesses making their first $50,000 dollars. Nevermind that small businesses make up most employment.

First, we have high taxes on everything. I'm sure that includes computers. Second, people don't just get computers.
    Um, no, you don't. Your sales taxes range from 4.25% to a maximum (in most cases) of 7.25%. Tennessee's sales taxes start at 6.75% for the state and go up to a maximum of 9.75% when localities add in their taxes.

There's a lot to save tax money on.
    Not really. Like I said, if someone from Asheville buys a computer in Knoxville on the "tax-free weekend," they'll save a maximum of about $29 ($400 X 7.25% = $29). They'll drive 90 miles each way to do so, so they'll burn up about $30 in gas to save that $29.

Third, it's also the principal of the matter. Seriously, will some of you all listen to yourselves at times? If it's a tax break for the corporations, then great! If it's a tax break for the common man, then that's just wrong. Do you really not understand why the hard working middle class and working class person doesn't think Republicans are for them? Get on their side a little bit and stop making everything about making things easier for corporations. The odd thing is that if middle class people save more in taxes, they can help out corporations by buying from them. We know corporations need all the help they can get. Hard working parents don't need help at all. We're going to say they have to have the baby, after that, they don't matter. The Republicans are going to reduce their welfare when they need it, their unemployment when they need it. They'll even reduce their tax breaks. Republican Party isn't for the working people. They're ONLY for corporations. I can't believe I'm going to vote for these jerks in November. It's a choice between one unethical party or another and I'm so sick of making that choice. I shouldn't have to.
    Good grief. Take off the emotional cap for a moment and put on the rational cap instead.

"Tax-free weekends" are just a gimmick. They are nothing but revenue leakage for the state and retailers generally just pick up that difference. They aren't saving common folk any money.

If Republicans are going to constantly kick us when we're down (unemployed or whatever), then the LEAST they could do is let us have our tax breaks back instead of giving it to corporations that are NOT bringing more jobs here.
    Oh for God's sake! No one is kicking anyone when they're down.

A toast to Duke Power. They are the most important thing in this state.
    Bank of America would like to disagree with you.

They should get to rob us as much as they want to
    How are they "robbing" you?

and they should do so with Republicans making excuses for them as they write out bigger and bigger checks so they can keep their big tower in the sky in Charlotte lighted. They are a god after all. Sigh.
    Oh. This again.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Electric companies are monopolies because of the Left's attempts to make them such.

Are you going to go after water and sewer services too? They have a monopoly.

They lowered everybody's income taxes (taxes being taken out of the paycheck every week), but they've found excuses to raise taxes in other areas. For example, parents can no longer get a tax break for their kids once they turn seventeen. Seventeen is still a minor, that's not an adult. But not only that. While seventeen is considered an adult for tax purposes, it's suddenly a minor for voting purposes. Minors used to be able to register to vote ahead of time if they would be eighteen by voting day. Not anymore, and they took away same day voting. That's just hypocrisy at its finest. The state of NC needs to decide whether a seventeen year old is an adult or not. If they're not, then their parents should get the tax breaks. If they are adults, then they should be given all the rights of an adult including voting.
    This is just incoherent. I lived in Asheville when I turned 18. Because my birthday is in late October, at the time, I could not register to vote in Tennessee elections that year. This is standard practice all around the country. That you're claiming that this is somehow "new" is just absurd. North Carolina briefly tried same-day registration, and it didn't work. Get over it.

More on the tax changes that took place, which I've talked about before.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-start-in.html
    Owners of many types of businesses lose a deduction on their first $50,000 of income,
    As it should be. Why should there be a deduction on the first $50K of income? Either income is taxed or it isn't.

while home-related deductions on mortgage interest and property taxes are capped at $20,000 combined.
    $20,000 worth of mortgage interest. That is one EXPENSIVE home. I could run some amortization tables, but let's just keep it simple and say simple interest of 5% (which is astoundingly high in today's mortgage market). That means that the cap is on a FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLAR home. Someone buying a home more than that doesn't get the deduction any more.

Why do you want this deduction on people buying million-dollar homes? I thought you were against rich people getting tax brea

Who buys a mobile home anyway? Not the rich. Not the higher middle class.
    Mobile and modular homes. There are a shit-ton of million-dollar modular homes being constructed out there, particularly in the Outer Banks area.

Regardless, why should that somehow be excluded from the same sales taxes that someone spends for bricks, mortar, and 2X4s at Home Depot to build a home?

Who rents to owns? People with money problems do that.
    People have money problems because they do that, not the other way around.

And again: why should that be excluded? If I go buy a washing machine at Lowe's, I pay the full boat on sales tax. If I get the same thing from Rent-a-Center, why should I be excused from the sales tax on that item?

Parents who work hard need child care credits.
    Why? The child-care credits are practically brand new in North Carolina. They sure as shit didn't exist when I lived there. People made out just fine without them for a very long time.

Instead of giving the mother more of her own money back so she can more easily leave her child at a daycare, they're giving it to the corporation that she works for.
    That's patently untrue.

Now, I get that if you didn't make the money, you shouldn't have it given back to you at tax time. However, I don't think it's right that the working poor suddenly have to the taxes that they originally didn't have to pay (and therefore struggle harder to pay their bills) just so corporations can get a bigger tax break.
    So the people who got free money from the government for a long time now don't get free money from the government. This has nothing to do with corporations. You'll please pardon me while I don't weep for people not getting free money from the government to spend on plasma-screens.

I think that this new law is a &*$% you to all the parents and workers who have worked hard and struggle to pay bills every month. I can go for taking away EIC from people if they didn't pay taxes. Okay, fine. A lot of the rest of this is bull. It's robbing from the working poor and middle class to give to corporations. This tax free weekend is far from the only issue.
    Nothing is given to corporations. That's simply false.