1. #1 China has its eye on the Panama Canal 
    Power CUer
    The Panama Canal
    Now for the next 100 years
    It was a good investment for America. Now China has its eye on the canal

http://www.economist.com/news/americ...l-now-next-100

...Panama has done a good job of running it. But competition is emerging on all sides. When the semi-autonomous Panama Canal Authority (ACP) started planning its expansion ten years ago, it aimed to win traffic from Suez by making room for ships carrying up to 13,000 containers (at the moment the biggest that can squeeze through carry 5,000). But ships have since emerged that can carry 18,000. Suez, a sea-level canal with no locks which can take these bigger vessels, saw its share of traffic between Asia and the east coast of the United States rise from below 30% four years ago to 42% last October. Another problem for Panama is that manufacturing is moving out of China as wage costs there rise—much of it is drifting to more south-easterly parts of Asia, closer to the Suez route.

Panama is also facing challenges closer to home. Technical problems such as dodgy cement, and a row over costs between the ACP and its European contractors, have delayed the $5.25-billion expansion by at least a year and may raise its cost. Meanwhile Nicaragua, once deemed too earthquake-prone for a big canal, is trying to rekindle its 19th-century dream. Many doubt the commitment of Wang Jing, a 41-year-old billionaire, to build a giant waterway through Nicaragua. But the pharaonic project, and the more recent interest of Chinese businessmen in expanding the Panama Canal, reflect the fact that China may want a say in the isthmus’s future.

There is more competition from the United States, too. Shipping a box from Shanghai to New York takes 26 days via Panama. Shipping it to California and completing the journey by train takes only 21 days (though it costs more). West-coast ports are modernising in a bid to “beat the canal”.

In a fiercely competitive shipping market, analysts say the key to Panama’s competitiveness in future may be niggling issues like the size of its tolls. But for now it is focusing on the long term. “They’re not doing this for 2017,” says Paul Bingham of CDM Smith, an infrastructure firm. “It’s the 100-year view that’s important.”

The Chinese have been slowly taking over the canal for almost a decade.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1514358/posts

IIRC the PLA have been conducting military drills at our old military bases

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    The Chinese have been slowly taking over the canal for almost a decade.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1514358/posts

IIRC the PLA have been conducting military drills at our old military bases

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    It's amazing how little this is discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    It's amazing how little this is discussed.
    They started their take over under Billy Jeff after he got campaign cash from Chinese businessmen...and China is.taking over territory without so much as a whimper from the U.S. after the ChiComs buy a huge amount of U.S. treasury bonds.

No surprise the media isn't reporting.on it.

I fully expect...IMO...that when China makes its move on Taiwan and we try to help Taiwan or move naval ships to the Pacific to protect Japan and Korea...bith ends of the canal will suddenly be closed.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

I thought China took control of that years ago.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    I thought China took control of that years ago.
    They did. And with the exception of the reporting I read on NewsMax when it happened...I'd have never known.

The Pandama canal?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg