Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 vehicular homicide, a misdemeanor ????? 
    This seems like something out of a fairy tale. Homicide as a misdemeanor. And then 60 days in jail?
    This whole thing smells to high heaven.

Today Christine Gregory, of Chagrin Falls, pleaded guilty to one count of vehicular homicide, a misdemeanor of the first degree. She also pleaded guilty to one count of reckless operation, and one count of failing to yield to a pedestrian in the crosswalk and both traffic offenses were minor misdemeanors.

Gregory, 62, struck five people in the crosswalk at Washington and Franklin streets in mid-July in downtown Chagrin Falls, killing Eli Sachar, 8, of Virginia.

<snip>

The plea deal required that Gregory agree to never drive again, with or without a license, nor to ever reapply for her license.
    That's the only sensible thing in the story.

Then to have to read the family letter.

As we crossed the walk -clearly with the right of way - Christine Gregory just kept driving. Inexplicably, after she initially hit my wife and three-year old son, she just kept driving. She didn't hit the brakes, she didn't slow down, just kept driving. Eli was next in her path and she hit him; ran him over; and killed him. Even more shocking, she didn't even express any emotion after what she did. She didn't emerge from the car to ask if everyone was ok and expressed no concern that persons may have been hurt. She just sat there, motionless, dazed, and seemingly confused. We looked into her eyes and there was nothing - just emptiness.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Power CUer
    You got a link?

This whole thing as per the OP

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    This whole thing as per the OP
    Thanks. This is an odd case.

I looked up related articles, but nothing was said about a DUI or other impaired driving. The woman apparently turned herself in and was let out on $2500 bail.
    http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local...cide/12790813/

Is there something I'm missing here? Did the police think it was an accident? It sounds like complete driver negligence to me so vehicular homicide fits the bill.

The aggravated vehicular homicide charge became a third-degree felony "for the reckless element..and for the fact that it was a Saturday afternoon when there were lots of people in the town," CFPD Lt. Amber Dacek said.

Dacek said Gregory turned herself in earlier Thursday afternoon and was released on $2,500 bond.

She was on site when the law arrived and looking as docile and unconcerned as could be. I've heard of folks that had no mental capacity for emotion but this takes the cake.

Power CUer
    She was on site when the law arrived and looking as docile and unconcerned as could be. I've heard of folks that had no mental capacity for emotion but this takes the cake.
    Was she, perhaps, mentally challenged in some way? I can't understand the lightness of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Was she, perhaps, mentally challenged in some way? I can't understand the lightness of the sentence.
    Well, for starters, she's female. Women like to drone on about equal rights when their sentences are demonstrably lighter than men for the same crimes.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Well, for starters, she's female. Women like to drone on about equal rights when their sentences are demonstrably lighter than men for the same crimes.
    You really think gender made a difference here? Maybe her age as well? I can't really tell.

I still go back to the OP- homicide with a vehicle is a misdemeanor? That does not address anything in re: race, gender or anything else. It's like a traffic stop.

Power CUer
    I still go back to the OP- homicide with a vehicle is a misdemeanor? That does not address anything in re: race, gender or anything else. It's like a traffic stop.
    It's a really odd charge.