1. #1 - new guy at the Geezer Club. 
    Retired TX State Trooper.

If you are involved in a traffic accident.

1. Stay in the car for a minute.
    2. Put all electronics in the glove compartment …ipad, phone, … what? why?

when police arrive, they will check the car looking for any possible reason it may have been your fault. If they find anything (cell phone, tablet) they will assume you were distracted
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Retired TX State Trooper.

If you are involved in a traffic accident.

1. Stay in the car for a minute.
    2. Put all electronics in the glove compartment …ipad, phone, … what? why?

when police arrive, they will check the car looking for any possible reason it may have been your fault. If they find anything (cell phone, tablet) they will assume you were distracted
    What exactly is this allegedly based on?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    What exactly is this allegedly based on?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Probably some s*** you've been passing around.

Don't know any real DPS officers huh?

I guess it might be a good idea, but then they might catch you and charge you with tampering with the scene of an accident.

If the police show up while you are doing this they might get a little nervous if they see you reaching into your glove box, especially at night.

Anything can be a distraction, such as a car radio, adjusting the a/c, if you are not keeping your eyes on the road.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 08-21-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I guess it might be a good idea, but then they might catch you and charge you with tampering with the scene of an accident.

If the police show up while you are doing this they might get a little nervous if they see you reaching into your glove box, especially at night.

Anything can be a distraction, such as a car radio, adjusting the a/c, if you are not keeping your eyes on the road.
    Tell me about it! - without all the details, I'm sitting in the passenger seat cleaning my boots from the last job mud hole when my driver is stopped for speeding. That's his problem so I just continue to work until I hear the officer speak through the drivers window "please remove your hand from inside the boot." With most of my younger life involved with LEOs at some level or another I easily recognized a voice uncomfortable with the circumstances and dropped the boot off my hand, dropped the cleaning brush in the floorboard along side it and put both hands on the dash before I turned my head - and then saw my second cousin in the OHP uniform doing the same double take as I was.

Well, at least my guy got off with a warning.

Tell me about it! - without all the details, I'm sitting in the passenger seat cleaning my boots from the last job mud hole when my driver is stopped for speeding. That's his problem so I just continue to work until I hear the officer speak through the drivers window "please remove your hand from inside the boot." With most of my younger life involved with LEOs at some level or another I easily recognized a voice uncomfortable with the circumstances and dropped the boot off my hand, dropped the cleaning brush in the floorboard along side it and put both hands on the dash before I turned my head - and then saw my second cousin in the OHP uniform doing the same double take as I was.

Well, at least my guy got off with a warning.

I had a couple rookies pull their gun on me and I was just grabbing my wallet as I knew they were going to ask for my license . My heart stopped for a second. My wallet was on the seat next to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I had a couple rookies pull their gun on me and I was just grabbing my wallet as I knew they were going to ask for my license . My heart stopped for a second. My wallet was on the seat next to me.
    A more enjoyable story - maybe:

I was cruising main with my future wife one Sat night when I got pulled over by the locals (where my father was Chief of Detectives). And on the main drag right in front of all my little friends. I knew I wasn't speeding but I had the shakes anyway.
    They pulled over in front of me and the driver stepped out, opened the back door and waved me forward. I got out, walked up as best I could on spaghetti legs and got in the back seat. His partner handed his unloaded .38 over the back of the seat and asked me how much I'd charge him to make him a new holster for it.
    After they quit giggling, I told him $500 for what he put me through and $60 for the holster. i got the 60.

Probably some s*** you've been passing around.
    Ummm yeah...ok. Whatever.

It would have just been easier to say you made it up.

Don't know any real DPS officers huh?
    I know plenty of them. Not one has every put out that kind of advice.

Hence the question I asked you.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

It's always good to have acquaintances but it's better to have friends.