Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The little ones carry mostly school supplies in their backpacks, not heavy textbooks. According to my brother and his wife, his kids do most of their work on their computers, so they aren't carrying a lot of books home with them at night. My sister's kids go to school in a small, conservative community, so they still have to read actual books.
    Not here. The kids k-8 carry a lot of books to and from school. A lot of them use the suitcase looking ones on rollers because they are just too heavy to carry.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Quote Originally Posted by thundley4 View Post
    Whatever happened to carrying several books and notebooks under one arm when going to school?
    Even if they can, the teachers are making them carry too much. They often want kids to have a notebook and binder with each classroom. Then add books. Imagine carrying it all for each classroom. Doesn't work.

I hate to keep bringing up ancient history but we used our lockers..... a lot. Go to the locker, put the last class books in, get the next class books out, go to class. Maybe, if the classroom situation worked out, we might carry two classes worth so as to eliminate a run to the locker.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Even if they can, the teachers are making them carry too much. They often want kids to have a notebook and binder with each classroom. Then add books. Imagine carrying it all for each classroom. Doesn't work.
    They don't have homework every day for every class. In fact, from what I've read lately, they give less homework these days and people still complain about it interfering with after school activities.

Retread
    I hate to keep bringing up ancient history but we used our lockers..... a lot. Go to the locker, put the last class books in, get the next class books out, go to class. Maybe, if the classroom situation worked out, we might carry two classes worth so as to eliminate a run to the locker.
    Same here.

Whatever happened to carrying several books and notebooks under one arm when going to school?
    I had a stone tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

One school I attended had a different system, the teachers moved, not the teachers. Trips to the locker were limited, but it was no big deal to use the locker, it just happened less often. It simply kept the hallways quieter as it was a smaller school. We did switch class rooms, but rather then 7 times a day it was more like 2 or 3 times.

I usually was able to get most of my work done at school, but at times I did need a book bag/duffle bag at other schools. Especially at the college prep focused private school....long research papers.

We had a study hall with no adult supervision. Only a few of us were allowed that privilege but they loved me.

They have a very strict grade scale, and my grades jumped from the public school system, I started to like school again and qualified for the good student discount for car insurance. A/B average...passing grade was a 70, which would of been a C in the public school...

I loved that politically conservative, Christian school. Many were upset about the rules but they also had strict parents, I did not. My music was not the devil, etc. I had the best parties and all the other parents were just happy that their kids were at my house as they knew my parents were not going to let any kids take off and drive if they had been drinking. The parents knew deep down the kids were going to do what they were going to do, and were just happy they were safe. My parents would wake up on New Years Day and were tripping over kids sleeping on the living room floor. My dad would run up town and buy doughnuts or my mom would cook breakfast.

On our senior night before graduation we had a co-ed slumber party at a Pastor's home.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 08-22-2014 at 07:00 PM.

They don't have homework every day for every class. In fact, from what I've read lately, they give less homework these days and people still complain about it interfering with after school activities.
    The schools around here give out too much homework, IMO. Especially third-sixth. Makes the day way to long for this age group. They barely have any free time to be a kid or even get involved in after school activities.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.