Thread: True Love Lasts

1. #1 True Love Lasts 
    More than 60 years later, a love note from a familiar stranger
    Separated by distance and time, a couple finds the words to connect again

By Kathleen Burge | GLOBE STAFF AUGUST 23, 2014

Cynthia Riggs and Howard Attebery wrote notes to each other in a simple code in 1950. Inside an envelope that traveled from his house in San Diego to her post office box on Martha’s Vineyard, he added one new message, also in code. “I have never stopped loving you.”

JONATHAN WIGGS/GLOBE STAFF

WEST TISBURY — The mysterious package arrived on a blustery day in February from a man Cynthia Riggs had not seen in 62 years. He wrote his return address in latitude and longitude. The contents baffled her: pages of yellowed paper towels, covered in penciled code.

Then, she remembered. In 1950, when she was an 18-year-old college student, she had landed a summer job sorting plankton at a marine geology lab in California. She befriended one of her colleagues, Howard Attebery, a kind soul who stood out from the other young men more interested in teasing her or nailing shut her lab drawers.

In gratitude, Cynthia wrote notes in a simple code to Howie, who was 28, on the pile of paper towels that sat next to her microscope, breezy thoughts about life, research, co-workers. These were the notes he was now sending back to her. Inside the envelope that traveled from Howie’s house in San Diego to Cynthia’s post office box on Martha’s Vineyard, he added one new message, also in code.
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle...pVJ/story.html

2. #2 Can you bring me a tissue? 
    There seems to be something in my eyes.
    "Asakatsu Magatsu"

True victory is victory over oneself.

~ Morihei Ueshiba O-Sensei ~

Quote Originally Posted by Jim54 View Post
    There seems to be something in my eyes.
    Once in a while I decide to post something that's not related to muzzies, libs, terrorism, or death and destruction.

We all need a break from the bad news!