Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Question: How many of these states that offer sales tax holidays bump their sales tax during the Christmas shopping season? I know North Carolina does it, or did it when I lived there.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Is there a limit on the sales tax holiday? One example would be if I purchase a new car and owe $1600 in sales tax, would that be exempt?

Many furniture stores already offer "we pay the sales tax" this weekend, as a marketing tool.....it gives the perception that people are saving money and stiffing the government.
    Each state is different, of course. In Tennessee, only certain items are covered, generally school supplies: pencils, paper, notebooks, etc. What's added in that is a big deal is clothing and computers. Makes sense at first: kids going back to school, so time to get new clothes, a new computer, and things like winter coats.

The thing is that people like me utilize this weekend to go and buy five new computers for the office, along with three printers and a number of other related items. We also stock up on a year's worth of pens, legal pads, etc., all of which count as "school supplies" under the tax holiday law. Makes sense for us, because we're effectively getting an almost 10% discount on the whole nine yards. From a policy standpoint, it's astoundingly stupid because we are very clearly not the ones for whom the law was intended. The first year of the law, it was a tax holiday on everything, and someone went out and bought a fleet of vehicles on that weekend, dodging hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax revenue, legally. They very quickly re-wrote the law after that, realizing that their feel-good measure was a fiscal disaster.

Lots of people, my boss and my brother included, and to some degree myself, go out and buy new wardrobes, often to the tune of thousands of dollars, on the tax holiday weekend. All those taxes aren't collected, either.

That's why this is such an idiotic policy: there is no way to write the law so that people who aren't the intended recipients wind up benefiting from the law, almost always benefiting to a greater extent than the "common man" for whom the law was intended.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.