Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Shut Discussionist down!... 
    link

trumad (37,181 posts)

Shut Discussionist down!... ......and chalk it up to an experiment gone bad. For that steaming pile of shit to be associated to Democratic Underground is a God Damn shame.

Nuff said!
    3rdwaydem (114 posts)

3. As I've said before, I will have nothing to do with it
    JaydenD (266 posts)

5. Some get so brave and emboldened there practicing up their bigotries

to bring here. The idea that it would take some trash away from here to there, is working in just the reverse.
    NRaleighLiberal (35,086 posts)

18. much of what is there is beyond horrible. Festering hate fest for the most part.
    A few people spoke up and said that they liked it, but many can't stand it that there might be a different way of thinking about or looking at something.
    ConservativeDemocrat (1,780 posts)

26. It's certainly less of an echo chamber...

...so I can see why that wouldn't appeal to many D.U.ers.

- C.D. Proud Member of the Reality Based Community
    ZINGGGGG!!!

polly7 (11,629 posts)

25. Ditto!

I don't go there often, but usually have fun when I do. And there are some very, very smart people there who work hard trying to discuss civilly with 'some' right-wingers who aren't nearly as bad as I'd thought. Heck, I've even found some new respect for some of them, 'some' of them truly believe in making things better in the world ..... just not the same way I do, which is no crime. Sorry, my thumb isn't working well so the spacebar is hit and miss. As for the misogynist trolls, they're gotten rid quickly, imo, and the ones that remain are a blast to make fools of, though I am deeply sorry for the women who they do hurt badly, as long as they remain. Discussionist works for me just fine.
    sabrina 1 (46,057 posts)

53. I agree, I think it's no worse when it comes to civility than here at times.

And I agree with whoever it was above who said it's more like RL because after all we can't just sanitize the world to make it the way we would like it. Better to learn how to speak to people who have different opinions and I found Discussionist to be far less civil at times than I found DU to be.

Haven't been there for a while, mainly due to RL being so busy. But I intend to go back.
    Laffy Kat (635 posts)
    27. What if we pledge $$ more to DU if they do shut it down?

Kind of a bribe-out sort of thing? The site doesn't directly bother me, as I have no intention of going there, but it bothers me that it bothers other DU-ers. Just an idea.
    How liberal like - If you don't like something..Shut it down, silence it/them.
    cui bono (12,065 posts)

69. Better to not donate to DU until it's gone. I'm not giving extra money to get rid of their shit.

I don't go there, except for a couple of peeks, but I'm certainly not going to give money to people who would run a site like that.
    zeemike (14,874 posts)

98. I think this is just another attempt to get something started.

The witch hunts did not catch on, so time to demand another site be dismantled because some here don't like what is being said over there...
    Some are not satisfied unless they can forbid something and control what is being said...it is the less attractive part of our human nature.
    Yep.
    kentuck (71,300 posts)
    43. No, don't....

They need to hear different arguments, although not everyone can make them. I piss them off quite often, I am sure. But, I would not deny them their opinions. I can only offer them a different viewpoint. Otherwise, they are in a bubble of familiarity. And that cannot be good.
    LOL. Conservatives are in a "bubble"? We hear liberalism every day. It's DUers who "get all their news from DU", "unfriend those with different opinions from facebook", break off contact with conservative relatives.............all because they cannot stand someone having a different opinion.

cui bono (12,065 posts)

64. Ain't that the truth.

I'm not donating to DU any more as long as that site is up. As someone else mentioned, same owners so how do I know my money isn't going to support that cesspool.

Same admins... why do they provide a playground for that shit? It's bad enough that so much crap gets left up on this site due to the very imperfect jury system, but that siet is truly disturbing from the little I've seen.
    Marr (16,085 posts)

66. Same here.

Want to make money off that shit? Fine. You can do without mine.

I think it's funny that Discussionist has a thread in the culture section on the same thing.

They're pretty desperate to not know about other viewpoints and spend an inordinate amount of time spinning every issue into political wedges. D's good, R's bad.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Like 99.999999% of the Libtards...the Primitives on the Island are terrified of any point of view that strays outside their group think.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Gee what a surprise. DUmbasses can't stand opinions that contradict their views one bit so they call for silencing the opposition.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

NRaleighLiberal (35,086 posts)

18. much of what is there is beyond horrible. Festering hate fest for the most part.
    Imagine. Opposing viewpoints. Horrible!

Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Gee what a surprise. DUmbasses can't stand opinions that contradict their views one bit so they call for silencing the opposition.
    Every. Time. I have made it a point to read the hidden posts on their little alert patrol and it's ridiculous. The lefties are the ones going off the rails.....seriously, off the rails. The right leaners just call out hypocrisy and stupidity.

Quite a few lefties on time out over there. I suspect a few of the (D)Ullards in that thread are among them.
    Last edited by 98ZJUSMC; 09-01-2014 at 12:34 PM.
    Life is hard (D)Ummies. It's even harder when you're stupid.
    -paraphasing John Wayne

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Discussionist has contained a lot of same old crap from DU. Yeah, there are some civil leftists. But when I try to refute some of the left broad brush idiocy, the same old talking points and narratives pop up. I just give up trying or don't even post in certain threads.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

I noticed a lot of "non-star" donating DUmmies say they will never donate to DU again.

Have they ever donated?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH AHAAHAHAHA!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I noticed a lot of "non-star" donating DUmmies say they will never donate to DU again.

Have they ever donated?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH AHAAHAHAHA!
    They bitch and moan, but a lot of them relent and continue to donate. $kimmer doesn't even push it as much with relentless e-mails like smaller sites do.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    They bitch and moan, but a lot of them relent and continue to donate. $kimmer doesn't even push it as much with relentless e-mails like smaller sites do.

The SPAM from CU asking for donations and this 48 hour business hours thing is getting old............ (Just kidding of course)