Thread: More Hating on Christianity

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 181
  1. #101  
    Senior Member IanMartins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    I dont expect you to believe. I do expect you to at least be respectful of the beliefs of others.
    While I cannot respect blind belief in something as archaic as gods, I can certainly tolerate it -- as long as the people with such beliefs show tolerance towards me as well. In a thread devoted to the ridicule of atheism, I will defend reason and tell you what I think of your mysticism -- regardless of how "politically incorrect" it may seem to you. I believe this is a correct assessment of the current situation:



    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    You and Owl are the same..even if the proof was standing right in front of you, you would not listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    The Bible strangely enough, even had you in mind, when it told the story of Doubting Thomas.Thomas, even when faced with Christ standing in front of him, did not accept what he saw with his own eyes.
    Clearly you fail to grasp the fact that, if you believe something which flies in the face of all logic, you alone have to provide evidence for its existence.
     

  2. #102  
    Resident Grump
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,767
    Should I expect you to be respectful of liberalism? I don't think so.
    Not on a conservative site, no, you want that, go to DU.Here, I will mock liberalism all I like.

    Respect is defined as high regard for someone or something. Asking you or any conservative to hold liberalism in high regard is asking too much. Similarly, asking me to hold religious beliefs in high regard is asking too much.
    Go preach on DU and see how long you last.We have been MORE than tolerant of you. Abuse that privilege and CU will join the long list of sites you have been banned from.

    I feel no need or desire to be respectful of that which I consider to be both untrue and more harmful than beneficial. I will tolerate religion, but don't ask me to respect it because I don't and I won't pretend that I do.
    Then be prepared to be hammered, because a great deal of members here do believe, and find your tone and you..obnoxious and offensive. Posting here is a privilege, not a right.

    One that can be removed at any time. When you stay in a home, offend your host and out you go.
     

  3. #103  
    Resident Grump
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,767
    While I cannot respect blind belief in something as archaic as gods, I can certainly tolerate it -- as long as the people with such beliefs show tolerance towards me as well.
    How very...liberal of you. You sign on to a conservative site, and start attacking the faith of the members here. What's your DU name?

    In a thread devoted to the ridicule of atheism, I will defend reason and tell you what I think of your mysticism -- regardless of how "politically incorrect" it may seem to you. I believe this is a correct assessment of the current situation:
    That cartoon is cute. It's a lie, which is par for the course. No one here is saying anything of the kind, yet here you are telling me that my faith is "superstition" and "mysticism"...I don't have to prove a bloody thing to you, nor do I intend to try. My points have been made above.
     

  4. #104  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Quote Originally Posted by IanMartins View Post
    Buaaahaaahaaaa!:p
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
     

  5. #105  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by IanMartins View Post
    While I cannot respect blind belief in something as archaic as gods, I can certainly tolerate it -- as long as the people with such beliefs show tolerance towards me as well. In a thread devoted to the ridicule of atheism, I will defend reason and tell you what I think of your mysticism -- regardless of how "politically incorrect" it may seem to you.
    Actually, this thread is devoted to the lack of tolerance towards those with faith. You have done well to prove the point.
     

  6. #106  
    Senior Member IanMartins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    How very...liberal of you. You sign on to a conservative site, and start attacking the faith of the members here. What's your DU name?
    Because I don't blindly conform to everything the stereotypical conservative is supposed to be like, I'm a democrat? No, I'm an objectivist and a capitalist, meaning I differ from you on religion and some social issues, and am ideologically opposed to the collectivism of the democrats. I generally get along with conservatives since they tend to be independent-minded and in favor of free markets, and most have the sense to let their faith be a private matter.

    You claim that *I* initiated the attack? This thread in itself is an attack -- I merely defend my own reason, as any self-respecting person would.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    That cartoon is cute. It's a lie, which is par for the course. No one here is saying anything of the kind, yet here you are telling me that my faith is "superstition" and "mysticism"...I don't have to prove a bloody thing to you, nor do I intend to try. My points have been made above.
    As soon as I criticized religion, as you have criticized atheism, I was told to "show respect". How exactly is the cartoon a lie?

    You certainly don't have to prove anything to me -- as long as you keep your faith to yourself. As long as you actively try to present the Bible as truth however, and as long as you keep preaching on about how I "fail to see Jesus" -- yes, I'm going to excercise my ability to think critically, and expect you to provide me with cold hard evidence. If you're not going to, let's leave it at that and end this discussion.
    Last edited by IanMartins; 06-15-2008 at 08:21 PM.
     

  7. #107  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Quote Originally Posted by IanMartins View Post


    You certainly don't have to prove anything to me -- as long as you keep your faith to yourself.
    Outstanding.:)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
     

  8. #108  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Perhaps you'll take me seriously when I figure out how to levitate above Notre Dame cathedral the way your hero Thomas Aquinas is said to have.
    Doubtful. I've read your work.
     

  9. #109  
    Resident Grump
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,767
    You certainly don't have to prove anything to me -- as long as you keep your faith to yourself.
    I will discuss my faith on this board when,. where and how I choose.

    Word to the wise, son, don't give me orders.

    As long as you actively try to present the Bible as truth however, and as long as you keep preaching on about how I "fail to see Jesus" -- yes, I'm going to excercise my ability to think critically, and expect you to provide me with cold hard evidence.
    Another lie.

    I never said anything of the kind. Show me where I said anything like "how you "fail to see Jesus".

    Mate, don't put words in my mouth, or I'll put my boot somewhere you wont like. Quote me honestly or keep thy mouth shut.

    If you're not going to, let's leave it at that and end this discussion.
    Even if the proof stood in front of you and dotted you on the nose, you would not see it...so I wont bother.
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 06-16-2008 at 07:37 AM.
     

  10. #110  
    Senior Member IanMartins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    I will discuss my faith on this board when,. where and how I choose.
    And I take the liberty to advocate reason when, where and how I choose. When you believe in something that flies in the face of reason, you alone have the responsibility to provide evidence for its existence if you expect anyone capable of critical thinking to take you seriously. That is the harsh reality of life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    I never said anything of the kind. Show me where I said anything like "how you "fail to see Jesus". Mate, don't put words in my mouth, or I'll put my boot somewhere you wont like. Quote me honestly or keep thy mouth shut.
    On the previous page, you referenced how your Bible had me in mind when telling the story of "Doubting Thomas". That even when "faced with Christ standing in front of me, I would not accept him".

    In the very post that I'm responding to, you said "even if the proof stood in front of you and dotted you on the nose, you would not see it". It's clear that the "proof" that you have in mind here, is Jesus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Even if the proof stood in front of you and dotted you on the nose, you would not see it...so I wont bother.
    Thanks, that's all I'm asking. If you cannot provide me with evidence to support your supernatural belief, don't bother preaching it to me.
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •