Thread: More Hating on Christianity

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Hitchens is a drunken buffoon. I could down a few glasses of scotch and write a book about how atheists and anarchists are cut from the same cloth, too.
    I haven't seen any evidence that Mr. Hitchens is a drunk. Whether he is a buffoon or not is a matter of opinion.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I haven't seen any evidence that Mr. Hitchens is a drunk. Whether he is a buffoon or not is a matter of opinion.
    Even leftist, who used to claim him, know he is an alcoholic. It's really legendary.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Define what you would accept as evidence.
    Scientific evidence...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_evidence
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Even leftist, who used to claim him, know he is an alcoholic. It's really legendary.
    Some of us on the left still like to claim Mr. Hitchens even though he denies having any ideological affiliation. :D
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 06-13-2008 at 02:38 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

I'm almost ready to slap a REL tag on this and move it to Sprots. If we had Sports back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Having faith in oneself is a lot different from having faith in God because having faith in oneself, unlike having faith in God, usually does not involve believing extravagant claims. For instance, I have faith in my ability to cook eggs because I've eaten evidence of my ability to cook eggs. Conversely, I don't have faith in God because I've never come across any evidence that God exists.
    For me the book and film Contact, by Sagan, was influential. Ellie the main character concludes there isn't evidence for god and there isn't evidence against him. That the overwhelming majority of people on earth believe in a higher being should make one pause that they are all ignorant or deserving of mockery. In the end her experience lacks evidence and is mocked although it was quite real to her.

I cannot argue the extravagant claims issue as I don't particularly believe many of them either. What is usually portrayed in the media is the extravagance you speak of....unfortunately.

You may be familiar with a lot of bunk lately called Quantum physics theory that deal with evolutionary thought that would argue that your eggs weren't really cooked and you didn't really taste them. It was just your perception of that. (What the bleep do we know anyway?)
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I'm almost ready to slap a REL tag on this and move it to Sprots. If we had Sports back.
    Slap a REL tag on it, then slap a SPORTS tag on it, then chuck it in to General.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    For me the book and film Contact, by Sagan, was influential. Ellie the main character concludes there isn't evidence for god and there isn't evidence against him.
    The fact that the existence of God cannot be disproven is a good argument against strong atheism, which I have always considered to be suspect, but it is also a poor argument in favor of belief.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Resident Grump
    For those that believe and have faith, no proof is necessary.For those who do not believe and have no faith, no proof will suffice.

You're here on sufferance, Owl. Dont push it.

Sanction or permission implied or given by failure to prohibit; tacit consent; tolerance.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)