1. #1 Mass. gov's daughter says she's gay; dad says he's proud 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    BOSTON The youngest daughter of Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said in an interview published Thursday that she's gay, and came out to her parents after lawmakers voted to kill a proposal that could have outlawed gay marriage in the state.

Katherine Patrick said her father responded to her announcement by giving her a bear hug and saying: "Well, we love you no matter what."

She made her revelation public in an interview with her family published Thursday in Bay Windows, a weekly Boston newspaper aimed at the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered community.

The governor told the paper his family agreed to the interview to make the news public on their own terms.

"The world is such and my job is such that rather than have someone do a 'gotcha' and our giving the misimpression that this wasn't completely natural in our family, then we thought, 'All right, let's just say it and move on,'" he said.

Katherine Patrick, 18, said she told her father and her mother, Diane Patrick, of her sexual orientation on July 3, 2007 about three weeks after the Legislature rejected an anti-gay-marriage amendment to the state constitution. Patrick, who supports gay marriage, lobbied lawmakers to block the amendment from reaching the ballot.

"He didn't know that I was gay then," Katherine told the paper. "For someone so publicly to fight for something that doesn't even affect him was just like, 'That's my dad,' you know?"

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shar..._Daughter.html

Dick Cheney: "Lynne and I have a gay daughter. So it's an issue our family is very familiar with. We have two daughters, and we have enormous pride in both of them."
    Sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Sound familiar?
    Very. I feel sorry for her. 18 is a young age to have to go public with her sexuality. Such is the life of a political family. But still...

Power CUer
    I don't know what else a parent would say. Are there still some knuckledraggers who would say "Never darken my door again"?

Sonnabend
    Are there still some knuckledraggers who would say "Never darken my door again"?
    TexasFred.

Katherine Patrick said her father responded to her announcement by giving her a bear hug and saying: "Well, we love you no matter what."
    As it should always be :)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    TexasFred.

As it should always be :)
    No mater what they do ,John Dillinger's mother loved him to the end .

Sonnabend
    No mater what they do ,John Dillinger's mother loved him to the end .
    John Dillinger was a cold blooded murderer.

Not a good analagy, meg.

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    John Dillinger was a cold blooded murderer.

Not a good analagy, meg.

I think the analogy was more about a mother's love than a comparison of Dillenger and the Governor's daughter.

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think the analogy was more about a mother's love than a comparison of Dillenger and the Governor's daughter.
    You can never tell with him. :D