Thread: Nintendo could banish cook books to the shelves

1. #1 Nintendo could banish cook books to the shelves 
    A talking kitchen guide made by video game brand Nintendo could spell the end of the traditional cook book.
    Instead of poring over dog-eared copies of Elizabeth David or Jamie Oliver with flour-covered fingers, the new computerised guide promises wannabe chefs "hands-free" advice.

With hundreds of recipes from around the world already programmed in, it talks users through each step, as well as helping them with everything from controlling calories to compiling a shopping list.

Makers believe it could do to the cook book what satellite navigation did to the traditional road map.

Designed for Nintendo's DS console, "Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What to Eat?" is based on a virtual cooking game which was a runaway success in Japan.

Rather than leafing through books, stressed cooks can simple type in what they want to eat and chose from a variety of suitable recipes.

The device can make calculations to adjust portions, alter recipes for slimmers or even work out the cost of the weekly shop.

link

I can't see this replacing my collection of cookbooks part of the pleasure of cooking is leafing through the recipes in advance.

Doubtful. People who can't cook probably can't be bothered to use this and it sounds incredibly slow and awkward for those of us who can cook.

This is why I hate video clips unless they feature explosions or maiming - they are just too slow.

I doubt that'd happen, too. The stupid e-book reader things have been getting more popular and the technology better....but there's NO WAY that stuff will outdo books...too many of us bibliophiles out there....one day, far in the future, maybe....but not now or anytime soon...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Doubtful. People who can't cook probably can't be bothered to use this and it sounds incredibly slow and awkward for those of us who can cook.

This is why I hate video clips unless they feature explosions or maiming - they are just too slow.
    Although explosions and maiming would liven up the average dinner party. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    I doubt that'd happen, too. The stupid e-book reader things have been getting more popular and the technology better....but there's NO WAY that stuff will outdo books...too many of us bibliophiles out there....one day, far in the future, maybe....but not now or anytime soon...
    Have you tried the Kindle? I saw it on Amazon but I have yet to see one in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Although explosions and maiming would liven up the average dinner party. ;)
    Well, we find them entertaining. The fire department, not so much. :D

noonwitch
    Is this like Dora's Talking Kitchen for adults?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Is this like Dora's Talking Kitchen for adults?
    More like Grand Theft Cuisine. ;)