Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 'Skunk' is a specially developed spray that drenches protesters with a foul-smelling 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    West Bank Spray Causing A Stink

Israel has unveiled its latest device to control protests on the West Bank and it is causing quite a stink, literally.

'Skunk' is a specially developed spray that drenches protesters with a foul-smelling liquid.
    "It's very effective in preventing these demonstrations becoming lethal," police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told Sky News"We don't want youngsters, children or anyone to become hurt in a manner that is unnecessary."

For some reason, life as a foreign correspondent seems to expose you to more than your fair share of bad smells.Without question, Skunk is one of the worst I have had to endure.But it is not toxic. In fact it is organic. That is the clever bit.It means it can be used to drench protestors quite legally, say its Israeli makers.

"You can drink it if you want to. It's a very good protein drink," said David Ben Harosh, head of the Israeli police technological development department, and Skunk's inventor.

Needless to say, I did not.Is Skunk a safer method?
    They know all about Skunk now in the West Bank town of Bilin.For months they have been protesting against Israel's security barrier. It carves up Palestinian land deep inside occupied territory, against international law.

Now they have something new to fear from protesting, having to go home smelling like a rotting carcass.
    People in the village say it is next to impossible to remove the smell, completely, even after several showers.
    Israeli border police point out their officers are regularly injured during clashes over the barrier and Skunk means they can avoid using rubber bullets, which have killed and injured Palestinians.

The Israelis say it will only be used when protests have turned violent, but Sky News has viewed footage of it being used during an apparently non-violent demonstration.

Palestinians say it is a degrading form of abuse and deliberately so.
    "When they spray this thing on the people it make you feel unhuman," Palestinian cameraman and activist Emad Bornat said.
    "It's a humiliation for the people. What's going on? The people here are not animals."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...=searchresults

Hah! We've used this same type of thing to discourage vagrants and needle people from messing up our monitoring sites. The stuff we use is a gel and we put it on pieces of trash or rocks. The smell is horrific and it last a surprisingly long time. You can clear 5 junkies and a half a dozen whores out of small area in about 1 hour. You can render a structure totally unlivable in a day.

We buy it by the case. :)

I hope that there's pork in it.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I hope that there's pork in it.
    Sadly, no.

Ah yes - the lovely emerging democracy. Dr. King would be proud. Bet the rednecks of the South wish they had this stuff in the 60's.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Ah yes - the lovely emerging democracy. Dr. King would be proud. Bet the rednecks of the South wish they had this stuff in the 60's.
    Actually, we just use it to get the whores and junkies away from our equipment. Landlords also use it to empty out vacant buildings.

It does seem a lot less interactive than rubber bullets or punching people.

Works for me. But then, I'm notoriously lazy.

And I'm mildly curious Mr. Papa, why did you immediately associate "Skunk" with Dr. King, Southern Rednecks, and Black folk from the 60's?

I'm surprised no-one is taking the anti Zionist route.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Burr View Post
    I'm surprised no-one is taking the anti Zionist route.
    He no longer posts here. :D
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Fudge, send em' my way. I'm always curious to hear their take.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    He no longer posts here. :D
    Oh, he's still here. ;)