Thread: Barack Obama surrounded by fried chicken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Barack Obama surrounded by fried chicken 

From the Los Angeles Times

Altered Obama photo in GOP club newsletter sparks outrage

Illustration shows the candidate's head on donkey's body on a bogus $10 bill that says 'Food Stamps.' Leader of the Upland women's group denies racism, but a state party official decries the image.

By David Kelly
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

October 17, 2008

A Republican women's club in San Bernardino County sent out a recent newsletter with a photo of Barack Obama surrounded by fried chicken, watermelon and ribs, sparking widespread outrage and rebuke from GOP leaders and Democrats.

The illustration shows the Democratic presidential candidate's head atop a donkey's body on a bogus $10 bill referred to as "Obama Bucks." Inscribed on the money are the words "United States Food Stamps" surrounded by stereotypical African American food.

The October newsletter went out to about 200 members of the Chaffey Community Republican Women, Federated, based in Upland.

"I apologize to anyone who was offended because that was not my intent," said club President Diane Fedele. "It was poor judgment on my part. It was strictly an attempt to point out the outrageousness of Obama's statement that he doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

The caption reads: "Obama talks about all those presidents that got their names on bills. If elected, what bill would he be on ????? Food Stamps, what else!"

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,2506591.story
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post

From the Los Angeles Times

Altered Obama photo in GOP club newsletter sparks outrage

Illustration shows the candidate's head on donkey's body on a bogus $10 bill that says 'Food Stamps.' Leader of the Upland women's group denies racism, but a state party official decries the image.

By David Kelly
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

October 17, 2008

A Republican women's club in San Bernardino County sent out a recent newsletter with a photo of Barack Obama surrounded by fried chicken, watermelon and ribs, sparking widespread outrage and rebuke from GOP leaders and Democrats.

The illustration shows the Democratic presidential candidate's head atop a donkey's body on a bogus $10 bill referred to as "Obama Bucks." Inscribed on the money are the words "United States Food Stamps" surrounded by stereotypical African American food.

The October newsletter went out to about 200 members of the Chaffey Community Republican Women, Federated, based in Upland.

"I apologize to anyone who was offended because that was not my intent," said club President Diane Fedele. "It was poor judgment on my part. It was strictly an attempt to point out the outrageousness of Obama's statement that he doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

The caption reads: "Obama talks about all those presidents that got their names on bills. If elected, what bill would he be on ????? Food Stamps, what else!"

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...,2506591.story
    LP, you know you think that's funny.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    LP, you know you think that's funny.
    I DO NOT!!!

:p
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I don't think it's funny. I actually think the food stamp concept was good. But I could do without the fried chicken, watermelon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I don't think it's funny. I actually think the food stamp concept was good. But I could do without the fried chicken, watermelon, etc.
    Ah c'mon.
    The Kool-Aide is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Ah c'mon.
    OH, YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Ah c'mon.
    The Kool-Aide was fine. The rest was just bullshit racism masquerading as humor.

Seconded. Leave out all the racial stereotypes and it could make a point, but throwing in all that crap it just looks racist.

Quote Originally Posted by YupItsMe View Post
    Seconded. Leave out all the racial stereotypes and it could make a point, but throwing in all that crap it just looks racist.
    I, for one, don't really care about being called racist. I know what's in my heart, and I know you can laugh at steroetypes without being racist.

I agree. Tasteless.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.