1. #1 Hawaii ending universal child health care 
    By MARK NIESSE, Associated Press Writer Mark Niesse

Hawaii is dropping the only state universal child health care program in the country just seven months after it launched.

Gov. Linda Lingle's administration cited budget shortfalls and other available health care options for eliminating funding for the program. A state official said families were dropping private coverage so their children would be eligible for the subsidized plan.

"People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free," said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. "I don't believe that was the intent of the program."

State officials said Thursday they will stop giving health coverage to the 2,000 children enrolled by Nov. 1, but private partner Hawaii Medical Service Association will pay to extend their coverage through the end of the year without government support.

<snipped>
    Link

DOA after only 7 months and they couldn't make it work for just 2,000 participants.

I have to say that I laughed out loud when I read this today. There is just no way on earth that anybody could have forseen this. :p

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I have to say that I laughed out loud when I read this today. There is just no way on earth that anybody could have forseen this. :p
    I think the only surprising thing about this is that it only took 7 months. The liberals we've got on the mainland would have hung on for 7 years, taxing the crap out the rest of the population to save a sinking ship.

My wife sent me this story from our local paper in Hawaii, pretty damn funny we thought. Government offers "free" child healthcare, everyone swarms onboard (even those who CAN afford their kid's healthcare) and it flops. :p

Doesn't suprise me in the least, especially from the Aloha state. I love Hawaii but Stevie Wonder could've seen this happening, people are so layed back and chill in HI it's not suprising they'd selectively hear "Hey the Government's givin' away free healthcare brah". :D
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke