1. #1 Future planes, cars may be made of `buckypaper' 
    Oct 17 12:03 PM US/Eastern
    By BILL KACZOR / Associated Press Writer

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - It's called "buckypaper" and looks a lot like ordinary carbon paper, but don't be fooled by the cute name or flimsy appearance. It could revolutionize the way everything from airplanes to TVs are made.

Buckypaper is 10 times lighter but potentially 500 times stronger than steel when sheets of it are stacked and pressed together to form a composite. Unlike conventional composite materials, though, it conducts electricity like copper or silicon and disperses heat like steel or brass.

"All those things are what a lot of people in nanotechnology have been working toward as sort of Holy Grails," said Wade Adams, a scientist at Rice University.

That idea—that there is great future promise for buckypaper and other derivatives of the ultra-tiny cylinders known as carbon nanotubes—has been floated for years now. However, researchers at Florida State University say they have made important progress that may soon turn hype into reality.

Buckypaper is made from tube-shaped carbon molecules 50,000 times thinner than a human hair. Due to its unique properties, it is envisioned as a wondrous new material for light, energy-efficient aircraft and automobiles, more powerful computers, improved TV screens and many other products.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Buckminster Fuller - what a fabulous genius. :)

His mind will change our world for another 1,000 years.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Eyelids
    SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY REPRESENT!

Oh we love Bucky down here.

This is the geodesic dome designed by R.B.F., about 5 miles from my house. It's the American Society of Metals HQ. It's really impressive and open for tours.

Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Buckminster Fuller - what a fabulous genius. :)

His mind will change our world for another 1,000 years.
    Is this thread about Bucky Fuller or buckyballs and buckypaper?

You do know he was worm food before either were discovered. :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Is this thread about Bucky Fuller or buckyballs and buckypaper?

You do know he was worm food before either were discovered. :eek:
    I'm looking at a first addition in my library at this moment of Amy C. Edmondson's 'A Fuller Explanation', one of my favorite synergetic geometry books, so yes - like Einstein, I have a complete knowledge of the fact he'd assumed room temperature long before we caught up physically with what he conjured up in his mind.;)