Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    This was a done deal. All that was up in the air was the timing:

Powell, Obama - something big in the works?

Willie Brown

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Here's a prediction: Colin Powell is going to endorse Barack Obama.

I'm not pulling this out of thin air. I'm basing my forecast on a series of phone calls that I received this week. I can't say who called me, but I can tell you one of the questions I was asked:
    "What do you think the reaction would be if former Secretary of State Colin Powell - a Republican - introduced Democrat Obama at his big acceptance speech at Mile High Stadium after being made the nominee?"

My reply: "It would seal the deal. It would be the presidency."

I don't think Powell will go to Denver for the Democratic National Convention, but based on the recent conversations, I have to believe that something big is in the works.
    This negates much of Powell's explanation. Palin hadn't even been selected yet.
    This is bigger than presidential politics. This is a battle for America.

Sonnabend
    If you call a bunch of desperate partisans grasping at tenuous straws evidence, then maybe there is.... however, there isnt anything more than that.
    Obamas nomination is proof of that.

You know the more I read and hear about this thing I'm coming on the conclusion that Powell's endorsement was entirely based on race. There's no other explaination that makes logical sense. Think about it:

-He didn't tout Obama's extensive US Senate or State Senate record, because he's largely done nothing but campaign for the next highest position since being elected to either post.

-He said he chose him for his 'rhetorical abilities' and that Senator Obama has ''met the standard of an exceptional President". How has Obama "met the standard" of an "exceptional President''? THE GUY ISN'T PRESIDENT YET, HOW CAN HE MEET THE STANDARD?

-He said "because of his ability to inspire, he's reaching out across America". What does this prove? He's a great speach reader, thats it?

Not once during his Meet the Press interview did Powell list anything substantial about Obama, never listed an accomplishment.

He also hit McCain for the situation with Bill Ayers, saying "they're trying to connect him to terrorism and I think that's inappropriate." Yet if McCain had a close connection to a Neo-Nazi or a Klan member, do you think it would be a big deal?

Powell showed his true colors on this one. What a joke.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Sonnabend
    Not once during his Meet the Press interview did Powell list anything substantial about Obama, never listed an accomplishment.
    ...because there's nothing to tell.?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Now now, he was a Community Organizer. That counts for something, right? :o
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    And you actually believe - if Obama becomes the President of the United States - that Gen. Powell won’t be right there at a moment’s notice to advise the new President? You think he wouldn’t be there for Palin, if she ever found herself in the same position and asked for counsel ?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    We expected more of you, Major.:(
    Sorry to disappoint you, but I've never held that high an opinion of Colin Powell, the politician. As a Soldier, he was no Patton (although few are, but in his generation of officers, that distinction goes to Norman Schwartzkopf, as demonstrated by Desert Storm and Grenada, two operations that GEN Powell opposed), but more of a Mark Clark, someone who played the game well but who wasn't known for his tactical or strategic insights. Nothing wrong with that, since most GOs tend toward that end of the scale, and just getting as far as he did in the army demonstrates that he performed well at each job prior to his tenure as CJS, but that's not the stuff of legendary commanders, either civilian or military.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    And you actually believe - if Obama becomes the President of the United States - that Gen. Powell won’t be right there at a moment’s notice to advise the new President? You think he wouldn’t be there for Palin, if she ever found herself in the same position and asked for counsel ?
    The difference is that he's clearly paving the way for that job with Obama. Notice that he didn't endorse him when he was trailing McCain, when it might have made a real difference. He's hedged his bet, which is what we've come to expect from the father of the Powell Doctrine. I'm sure that if Sarah Palin asked for his advice after she took office, he'd gladly provide it.

He's always been more ideologically in sync with the Democrats (a cursory examination of his political positions puts him well to the left of the Republican mainstream, especially on affirmative action, abortion and military actions) and he knows that if he is going to advance to the presidency, it will be as a "moderate" African American who can plausibly claim to have served in both parties and with genuine military credentials. What this does is take him out of the category of "Uncle Tom" (which was the Daily Kos' despicable description of him) and put him in the category of "authentic African-American leader" in the eyes of the mainstream media (which, BTW, is the extent to which race played a part, since if he failed to endorse Obama, Powell could never count on the black vote if he ever ran for office). As a calculated political move, it's a no-brainer, but it's hardly a noble gesture.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    He did, however, mention quite a bit about why he felt uneasy towards McCain.... not the least of which was his judgment in picking a running mate.
    Last edited by wilbur; 10-21-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    He's hedged his bet, which is what we've come to expect from the father of the Powell Doctrine.
    Then it makes me wonder where "W's" head was picking Powell in the first place. Well, that and what really made the General leave the White House.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Yet if McCain had a close connection to a Neo-Nazi or a Klan member, do you think it would be a big deal?

Powell showed his true colors on this one. What a joke.
    ummm didn't they already try and do this with that signed committee chair document for that White suprimist group?

Dont remember what it was called, but saw that thing floating around KOS for awhile.