Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Then it makes me wonder where "W's" head was picking Powell in the first place. Well, that and what really made the General leave the White House.;)
    Republicans do stupid ass things when it does come to appointments. Look at several bad S.C. appointments under daddy Bush. Look at appointing Jessie Jackson to the Civil Rights Comm. where he attended 1 meeting in a year and then bashed the Prez. Repubs have bent over backwards to appease blacks. More top jobs for blacks in the Bush Admin. than in Clintons; Clinton is supposedly the first black Prez. You see how well that worked for Hillary. Huh. If race is not an issue, which I agree should not be, I will kiss your ass on third street and give you an hour to draw a crowd. Whites that soft pedal/ and or have this guilt trip around the race issue which sway them into voting for Obama are fools.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    If race is not an issue, which I agree should not be, I will kiss your ass on third street and give you an hour to draw a crowd.
    October's best line yet!:p:D:p:D
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Do you think there's anyone left out there who's opinion will be changed by Powell's decision?
    I think you're absolutely right. When Powell went to work for the Bush administration, he was called terrible things by the left. Now his endorsement is oh so important. I just don't get it. I guess now that he supports their views, he's an okay guy.
    www.klingtocash.com - my blog, helping you save more of your money.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
    I think you're absolutely right. When Powell went to work for the Bush administration, he was called terrible things by the left. Now his endorsement is oh so important. I just don't get it. I guess now that he supports their views, he's an okay guy.
    Of course, the this is the mirror image situation with the republicans right now... Powell used to be an honorable, stand-up guy.... now they can't smear him fast or hard enough.

Then it makes me wonder where "W's" head was picking Powell in the first place. Well, that and what really made the General leave the White House.;)
    He thought that he was picking someone who had worked for his father, who had the approval of all of the pundits, and who would carry out the instructions of the President of the United States. As for what made him leave the White House, I suspect that a lot of it had to do with the sheer volume of bad press that was flung at the administration and his desire to keep his options open. Powell is very happy to associate himself with a winning team, but is perfectly willing to engage his exit strategy when things don't go his way.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Of course, the this is the mirror image situation with the republicans right now... Powell used to be an honorable, stand-up guy.... now they can't smear him fast or hard enough.
    And, of course, the truth is somewhere in between, meaning that Powell was a competent, if not stellar, general officer, but always something of an opportunist, and had a Democratic administration offered him the same position, he'd have taken it in a heartbeat, just as he jumped ship as soon as he perceived things to be going south.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    As for what made him leave the White House, I suspect that a lot of it had to do with the sheer volume of bad press that was flung at the administration and his desire to keep his options open.
    I have a feeling that being called home from Kyoto started it. "W's" boot marks on the back of his skull and all.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I have a feeling that being called home from Kyoto started it. "W's" boot marks on the back of his skull and all.
    I still believe Powell saw this administration had no clue...especially after it hung him out in the wind at the UN with the WMD malarky.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Maybe. But I see the total disrespect by Bush’s staff way prior to that time. "W" lives for complete ass-kissers (reference Condi for the gold standard there) and Powell had his own opinions (reference not going into Baghdad in Bush41’s war).

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Actually, it don't change my opinion of Obama or Powell in the least. They are both the same men they were this time last month.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad