Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Here's a question. Who could have come out for Obama, at this time, and had the same impact?

(BTW - you're a delusional fool if you think this doesn't have an impact.)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Endorsements don't do much, they help in primaries to get the party together but in general elections they have even smaller effect.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Libertarian?? BWAHAHAHA.....yet here you are shilling for Obama.
    Again, you demonstrate a severe lack of reading skills. Where have I in this thread or elsewhere said anything in support of Obama. Herein I was pointing out the hypocrisy of Faux News, not supporting Obama. In the "Naval Academy/Columbia" thread I pointed out that Obama had better academic credentials than John McCain (as does the Idiot Child). Therein, I was not supporting Obama, but addressing the hypocrisy of the (very correct) notion that there are differences in the quality of education amongst our universities and colleges, but (very incorrectly) only when it's OUR GUY. and pooh-poohing that notion when it's THEIR GUY.

I started this campaign supporting McCain while others here did not, preferring Dead Fred or the Huckeboomer. I've been disappointed with the way he has conducted his campaign, in particular in his judgement in pandering the the extremes of the party by selecting the obviously unqualified Palin as his running mate. My position is the same as many prominent conservatives, including Christopher Buckley, George Will, Kathleen Parker, Peggy Noonan, and Heather MacDonald.

However, your mentality and that of others here mirrors the Bushism, "You're either with us or with the terrorists." Life is a bit more complicated than a B western.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Here's a question. Who could have come out for Obama, at this time, and had the same impact?

(BTW - you're a delusional fool if you think this doesn't have an impact.)
    It will have a significant impact among those centrist "undecideds," many, many of whom view Powell as a figure to respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    My position is the same as many prominent conservatives, including Christopher Buckley, George Will, Kathleen Parker, Peggy Noonan, and Heather MacDonald.
    Your position isn't quite the same. Most of the conservatives you cite, have issues with her experience and qualifications, yes. However I wouldn't say the majority of them ever faulted McCain for pandering to the "extremes" of the party. That is simply your opinion, which you have a right to. I don't necessarily agree with the posters who accuse you of supporting Obama. You've deftly managed to avoid doing that outright. However there's no denying that your primary objectives seem to be to discredit the conservative position as well as the republican candidate. So, it's not surprising what some might glean from that.

However, your mentality and that of others here mirrors the Bushism, "You're either with us or with the terrorists." Life is a bit more complicated than a B western.

You should be a political speech writer, making catchy little statements like this. With no content they really can't be proved or disproved, but sound good. And they're short and simple enough for shallow little headline skimming minds to remember and use in order to feel superior in their depth of understanding.

It will have a significant impact among those centrist "undecideds," many, many of whom view Powell as a figure to respect.
    You guys are kidding, right? You think there are actually "undecideds" who are waiting on significant figures to endorse this late in the game, before making up their minds? Yeah, maybe there's a total of 12 or so, but that's not going to change things. This is bandwagon time, where people feel it's safe to jump aboard now that the train is close to the station. I respect General Powell, so I won't deride his decision. But I do observe the relative "safety" of him making his decision now, instead of earlier.

Now, if John McCain came out and endorsed the O man, what an impact that would have. :D
    Last edited by Lager; 10-19-2008 at 11:17 AM.

* watching Powell on 'Meet the Press'.

Holy Shit - the RNC is done. :eek::eek:
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Sonnabend
    Powell said both Obama and Republican John McCain are qualified to be commander in chief. But he said Obama is better suited to handle the nation's economic problems as well as help improve its standing in the world.
    Yeah..."spread the wealth around"

"I think we need a transformational figure. I think we need a president who is a generational change and that's why I'm supporting Barack Obama, not out of any lack of respect or admiration for Sen. John McCain."
    A WHAT???

At the same time, he is a black man and Obama would be the nation's first black president.
    I won't say it....

Powell is now saying that without the WMD "evidence" - we'd have never gone to war in Iraq.:eek: