Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    People should be given jobs based on their merits, all Affirmative Action has done is given the racists in this country a new flag to rally under. This is exactly how racism is passed down from generation to generation, the whole us vs. them mentality where you treat people differently based on factors like gender, race and ethnicity. I'm not happy about the Democratic party's support of Affirmative Action.

I can't make this clear enough, I am not for hand-outs... I'm for redistribution. Class equity in terms of a guarantee that if you work hard you wont have to worry about paying for food, putting your kids through school and having a roof over your head.
    And what happens if you don't work hard enough? Are you denied food, shelter and education for your children? Who determines what working hard enough is? Who determines how much is to much? If I work harder than you do we both get the same under your distribution plan?
    News flash: This country will cease to exist before your little utopia is realized. So please, hold your breath while waiting.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

That's looking for a specific individual or group of individuals, would you set up "blacks-only" checkpoints so you could check every black person in the area? Would you pull random blacks you meet on the sidewalk to the side and ask them if they raped anyone lately?.
    If the only info I had was that the perps were black, then yes. Of course I would be looking for only black males. And I would pull aside random blacks in the area, not to ask if they've raped anyone but to ask if they've heard or seen anything about the crime in question.

Or how about this, would deny blacks access to certain areas such as parks or apartment buildings, maybe even a "blacks-only" curfew until you caught the rapist(s)?
    Not a curfew but I would watch the areas where they congregate for possible suspects.

You're willing to treat people in an inferior way on the basis of race or ethnicity to give yourself a false sense of security. I can't even begin to tell you how dangerous that kind of thinking is.
    Less dangerous than doing nothing or encouraging said behavior by not profiling.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
    * Y A W N *

Why are conservatives so obsessed about race? Everything is race this, race that. Powell only supported Obama because he's black!

Sorry, but this isn't a "race" election, since there are plenty of DUmb people (like myself) who will be voting for Obama.
    So once again, YAWN
    Did you bother reading the post? Here is the Title:
    Barack says we need to have a conversation about race in America.? Fair enough.
    Either you are a complete retard or you are suggesting that Barrak the magnificent is a Conservative.
    Last edited by AmPat; 10-21-2008 at 04:17 AM.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Conservatives bring up race simply because it's been a tool misused by Liberal Democrats to portray us as hatemongering bigots for far too long when nothing is further from the truth. Liberals are the people who want special treatment for different races because of past perceived injustice, liberals are the people telling young minorities that they'll never make it because of the oppressive White man in this country. Conservatives believe we're all children of whatever God we choose or do not choose to believe and as such we're all endowed with the same rights. That your life is your own from the minute you enter this world and what you choose to make out of your life is entirely up to you. That people can achieve anything in this Country if they work hard enough to accomplish what they desire.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    And what happens if you don't work hard enough? Are you denied food, shelter and education for your children? Who determines what working hard enough is? Who determines how much is to much? If I work harder than you do we both get the same under your distribution plan?
    News flash: This country will cease to exist before your little utopia is realized. So please, hold your breath while waiting.
    Working hard = having a full time job.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Less dangerous than doing nothing or encouraging said behavior by not profiling.
    WRONG.

Giving up your freedoms for security does not make you safe at all. I would rather be bombed by terrorists every day then give up the principles that this country was founded on.

You lose the GWOT by changing what you stand for as a nation for the worse... you are the kind of person who ensured 9/11 would be a success.

Disgusting. Piece. Of. Shit.

Sonnabend
    Working hard = having a full time job.
    Says the professional student.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Says the professional student.
    The warden give you guys extra internet time today?

Sonnabend
    The warden give you guys extra internet time today?
    After a hard day at work, I got home early. I've got a bet says you'll never leave academia and be another tenured, America bashing mike_c clone.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    After a hard day at work, I got home early. I've got a bet says you'll never leave academia and be another tenured, America bashing mike_c clone.
    I think we should just abolish education, who needs it anyways?