Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Saturday in Mongolia!!!! 
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Man do they have to put rancid yak butter on everything?!?

Ruined my English Muffin.

Bubba, intrepid correspondent here, and actually am not in the outer reaches of Mongolia but am about to be on the road and doubt I'll have internet access until tomorrow afternoon at best. I'm headed for Tennessee. VACATION!!!! Woot!!!

TOTD: On a vacation, do you tend to plan everything ahead or play it by ear and just see what you feel like doing when you get there? We have nothing planned on this, and most, trips except arrival and departure.

We'plan' to hike in the mountains and cycle. Maybe do a little shopping. Eat. Cook. Eat. Drink. Read books. Watch movies. Sleep late.

I will smoke cigars and drink scotch. I probably will read Counter Culture Through the Ages by Ken Goffman. (Subtitled From Abraham to Acid House.)

I like to just chill on vacation.

Sorry the thread is so early. I just got off work and am about to load the car and head out.

Yee Haw!!! You better get back to Tennessee Jed.

We're going to have Mongolian Bar-B-Que tonight.

l
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Each day thread is getting earlier and earlier! Shannon's head will eventually explode.

TOTD: I am a planner through and through.

Although, one of my fondest family vacations as a kid was a road trip through the southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, also hit Colorado and a smidgen of Utah). We decided to be completely spontaneous. We didn't make hotel reservations or anything. Just kept driving and stopped when something looked good. That was a lot of fun.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    Each day thread is getting earlier and earlier! Shannon's head will eventually explode.

TOTD: I am a planner through and through.

Although, one of my fondest family vacations as a kid was a road trip through the southwest (Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, also hit Colorado and a smidgen of Utah). We decided to be completely spontaneous. We didn't make hotel reservations or anything. Just kept driving and stopped when something looked good. That was a lot of fun.
    I tried to plan this to where she would be driving home when I posted it.

The place where we're going is kind of out of the way so I don't know about wifi. I may be out of pocket for a week.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Banned
    Nothing wrong with starting a day thread early. You might not be here tomorrow

My idea of a vacation is going to the beach. I usually make reservations but do it on the spur of the moment to make sure the weather is good. Twenty some odd years ago I decided to go to Pensacola Beach on July 4without reservations for 2 days. Everything was booked so I went to Panama City; same deal, could only get a beach reservation for 3 days and the price was too high. Spent about 7 hours on the beach and drove back home the same for a total of over 600 miles. Cheap, cheap vacation as gas was around 2 bucks back then.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Nothing wrong with starting a day thread early.
    I see I need to send you a copy of the manual too.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Nothing wrong with starting a day thread early. You might not be here tomorrow

My idea of a vacation is going to the beach. I usually make reservations but do it on the spur of the moment to make sure the weather is good. Twenty some odd years ago I decided to go to Pensacola Beach on July 4without reservations for 2 days. Everything was booked so I went to Panama City; same deal, could only get a beach reservation for 3 days and the price was too high. Spent about 7 hours on the beach and drove back home the same for a total of over 600 miles. Cheap, cheap vacation as gas was around 2 bucks back then.
    Agree with you, don't listen to Shannon. :D

I am a vacation planner. I drive others crazy with my itineraries. Yep...fully printed out itineraries with date, time, event, whether tickets were pre-purchases (which they usually are) etc. I've tried to relax a bit about it (heck, last weekend I even managed to spend 2 days on a boat doing absolutely nothing but getting some sun, swimming a bit and relaxing). But generally my down time is all tightly structured.

Where are you going Bubba?

Banned
    Now that it's Saturday, we need to bring this thread back up. Funny, when I read the title I thought you might actually be going to Mongolia. A colleague of mine when I was in Sarajevo had done six months in Ulan Batar and told me one can grow quite fond of yak products. :D

Looks like another warm, clear day here in the exciting world of insurance salesmen. After France, we'll be back to the usual routine today, as my girlfriend failed her driving exam just before going (he asked her to do a three point turn in a small street and she bumped the curb). So, it's back to driving practice for at least four hours this weekend.

TOTD: Oh, I'm a vacation planner, sometimes too much so. On this last trip, I had every day planned until she insisted on laying on the beach more than I wanted. We didn't, therefore, do the two day excursion I had planned to the Gascony regions to visit Minerve, Carcasonne, and to eat casseolet and drink good, strong Cahar wine...

BTW, thanks for the book recommendation -- I just ordered it from Amazon. I notice the Forward by Timothy Leary and was reminded of the Moody Blues' Legend of a Mind...

Timothy Leary's dead.
    No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
    Timothy Leary's dead.
    No, no, no, no, He's outside looking in.
    He'll fly his astral plane,
    Takes you trips around the bay,
    Brings you back the same day,
    Timothy Leary. Timothy Leary.
    One last thought, Bubba; the title would have been better if you had chosen a country like Somalia! Don't you know, Mongolia is for Mondays. :D
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 06-14-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Cool topic, BD. Have fun there in Tenn, but stay off those backroads....especially ones leading to a grand yet decrepit old house...<mwuhhahahahah>:eek:

TOTD: I like to plan out trips but NOT to the extent of it being so regimented you can't deviate from the plan. Or just say f%$k it, and go or do something else. A vacation is supposed to be fun, not friggin' work...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Early morning at the LL house. My daughter takes the ACT for her last chance at that elusive point that will give her room and board with her scholarship.

TOTD: our vacations were always tossed in with a PCS (that's a move for you civilians) so we were living out of suitcases already. Ex couldn't stand the idea of spending money so we were usually camped at some in-laws that lived somewhere convenient. ugh.

Luckily I had grown up traveling and seeing cool stuff.

(Three tours to Europe and the cheapskate never took leave!)