Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I don't think that Iran has ICBM technology. An ICBM by definition is one that could reach another continent (ie North America or Europe). All Iran needs is a missle that will fly a few hunderd miles and I am sure that they are more than capable of that feat if the bomb could be made light enough.
    Scuds and they already have hundreds of them !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    ICBM? Scud-D: 700 km range. ICBM?
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

If Iranians get the technology to do it, it would be through arms deals with either Russia or China.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Yet.

If the Germans can build a V2...the Iranians can build an ICBM.
    Right now the technology for a ICBM is well beyond Iran's capabilities unless they were getting some help from Russia or China and I'm pretty sure that neither of them want Iran to have missle technology that could one day be used against them. If ICBM's were so easy to build then every nation would have a few.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Iraq had to lunch SCUDS practically from their border just to get them to fly over Jordan and land in Israel. Iran would have trouble getting them to fly over the mountain ranges that separates Iran from Iraq.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Under that logic we should attack North Korea, Iran, Syria, Hugo Chavez's office and hit China first as they actually have the capability and are communist.

Lets start tomorow?
    Yep.. but no one's suggesting we do that. We showed for 50 years that we could deter a nuclear power. There is no reason to believe we cannot if Iran becomes one.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Iraq had to lunch SCUDS practically from their border just to get them to fly over Jordan and land in Israel. Iran would have trouble getting them to fly over the mountain ranges that separates Iran from Iraq.
    As you can see they are well in range over the mountains of Tell Aviv for an air burst !

The distance from Tabriz Iran to Tell Aviv Israel is about 700 miles .700 mi. (1125 km)

Range of Chinese misslies
    Taepodong 1.... 2,000 to 2990 KM
    Taepodong 2.... 37,500 to 6000 KM

Generation, Mass Range (Kg.) Nuke Payload weights !

1st Gen. 1,158-850 * 1,158 Iran, North Korea
    2nd Gen.. 900 -- 750 760 * Pakistan, North Korea
    3rd. Gen. 750 -- 500 650 * North Korea, Iran
    4th Gen. 500 -- 400
    5th. Gen. 450 -- 240

*This is based on the 1st, 2nd. & 3rd. generation nuclear warheads of Pakistan.

Also in development in the late 1990s were derivatives of North Korea's No-Dong missile, which entered service in 2002. Called Shahab-3 (meteor or shooting star in Farsi) the missiles gave Iran a capability with twice the range of the existing SCUD-C/Shahab-2 missiles it had in service, with a range of 1,300 km. Iran was estimated of have anywhere from 25 to 100 of the missiles in service. In development were Shahab-4/5/6, successors to the Shahab-3 and also based on North Korean designs (No-Dong and Taepo-Dong designs).

Iran had been eager to acquire China's M-9 (600 km/500 kg) and M-11 (300 km/500 kg) single-stage, solid-fuel, road-mobile missiles, but US pressure on China had prevented transfers. The Tondar-68 (1,000 km/500 kg) and the Iran-700 (700 km/500kg) were other reported development programs that depended on continuing Chinese assistance, according to Jane's. China was also believed to be assisting Iran in extending the range of the operational HY-1 (85 km/400 kg) and the HY-2 (110 km/500 kg) cruise missiles, which posed a greater threat to shipping in the Persian Gulf.

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Yep.. but no one's suggesting we do that. We showed for 50 years that we could deter a nuclear power. There is no reason to believe we cannot if Iran becomes one.
    MAD was for rational people not willing to die , do you call the Iranian mullahs rational people ?They are waiting for the mad Imam Mohammud Al- Mahdii !

Sonnabend
    I have no intention of apologising. This mentality of "It doesnt affect America so why should we bother with it" along with the fact Goldwater is a Ron Paul supporter and therefore a supporter of his ostrich ,head in the sand attitude, is something I have very little patience with.

A nuclear issue in the Middle East is everyone's problem. A nuclear issue anywhere is all of our problems. A mushroom cloud over Israel is game over.

If ICBM's were so easy to build then every nation would have a few.
    We can and we could, we just dont need to. Making an ICBM is not rocket science(no pun intended).

MAD was for rational people not willing to die , do you call the Iranian mullahs rational people ?They are waiting for the mad Imam Mohammud Al- Mahdii !
    If you're suggesting that ALL the leaders of Iran are suicidal then go sell that to Hannity. There is no reason to believe that every Imam would risk the entire nation of Iran to be wiped from the map...which it would be in about 90 seconds and they are acutely aware of it. The rational actor scenario is as true for Iran as it was for the Soviets. How many also were convinced of Kim Jung Ils death wish. Let me remind you he had far more central control over NK's survival than the Imam's in Iran.
    You are way off base.

I know too many soldiers that worked directly with Spiritual and tribal leaders in Iraq during the war and it is patently false that their beliefs are based on the complete destruction of their people.

And Me...I'm a Christian and I'm also waiting for Christ's return, but I've not got a death wish to help accelerate the process. Do you know how many liberal idiots are convinced like you that ALL Christians wish for Armageddon to hasten Christ's return and that because I claim to be one that I have similar designs.

Rubbish!
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor