Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    A quick check of Wikipedia places the number at 26%. I know, it's Wikipedia but still 45% seems way too high.
    Evangelical type Christians I wouldn't put at 45% of the country, but just people who identify with Christianity I think would be at least 45%.

What cracks me up is Palin isn't even an Evangelical Christian. The label comes from those who don't understand christianity that well. She's pro-life and doesn't believe in gay marriage, those aren't only Evangelical beliefs. She isn't out preaching Hellfire and Brimstone or the End of Days....she's just a regular Christian. People misuse the term so often. :p
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Evangelical type Christians I wouldn't put at 45% of the country, but just people who identify with Christianity I think would be at least 45%.

What cracks me up is Palin isn't even an Evangelical Christian. The label comes from those who don't understand christianity that well. She's pro-life and doesn't believe in gay marriage, those aren't only Evangelical beliefs. She isn't out preaching Hellfire and Brimstone or the End of Days....she's just a regular Christian. People misuse the term so often. :p
    It's not that they unknowingly misuse the term, it's that they see it as an excellent label for them to use to slam all conservative Christians.

Palin was born into a Catholic family. Later her family joined the Wasilla Assembly of God, a Pentecostal church. Palin attended the Wasilla Assembly of God until 2002. Palin says she switched to Wasilla Bible Church because she preferred the children's ministries there. When in Juneau, she attends the Juneau Christian Center. Her current home church is the Wasilla Bible Church, an independent congregation. Palin described herself in an interview as a "Bible-believing Christian." After the Republican National Convention, a spokesperson for the McCain campaign told CNN that Palin "doesn't consider herself Pentecostal" and has "deep religious convictions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin#Personal_life

The Wasilla Bible Church is a non-denominational, evangelical Christian church in Wasilla, Alaska. Pastor Larry Kroon describes the congregation as "socially conservative." Wasilla Bible Church offers ministries devoted to family affairs, including the popular support group for Christian mothers of small children called Mothers of Preschoolers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasilla_Bible_Church
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Evangelicalism is a theological movement, tradition, and system of beliefs, most closely associated with Protestant Christianity, which identifies with the Gospel.

Toward the end of the 20th century some have tended to confuse evangelicalism and fundamentalism, but they are not the same; the labels represent very distinct differences of approach which both groups are diligent to maintain. Both groups seek to maintain an identity as theological conservatives; evangelicals, however, seek to distance themselves from stereotypical perceptions of the "fundamentalist" posture, of antagonism toward the larger society, advocating involvement in the surrounding community rather than separation from it.

Evangelical isn't a dirty word, but panic-ridden Libs use it as if it were. :D
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

A quick check of Wikipedia places the number at 26%. I know, it's Wikipedia but still 45% seems way too high.
    You should see WP's number for atheists/agnostics.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Evangelical isn't a dirty word, but panic-ridden Libs use it as if it were. :D
    Nah - MumboJumbo is pretty much.......well, MumboJumbo.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    You should see WP's number for atheists/agnostics.
    We really dont feel the need to make everyone believe the same way we do, so the numbers dont matter.

We really dont feel the need to make everyone believe the same way we do, so the numbers dont matter.
    You're actually quite amusing.

ashling (1000+ posts) Wed Oct-22-08 05:04 PM
    Original message
    I'm am tiring of making fun of Palin - it's not a challenge any longer
    God, what a quitter. I mean, it's not a challenge making fun of Blinky and the rest of you DUmbasses (since you provide all the ammo we'll ever need), but that doesn't mean we won't stop doing it.

Thankfully Evangelicals are not 50% of our nations population.
    What you should have said is "thank God for evangelicals." You of all people, with your hand held out proudly, palm up, like a true entitlement liberal leach, should appreciate at a minimum the generosity of Evangelicals.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand