Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Atheist adverts declaring "there's probably no God" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Atheist buses ready to roll across country after making 31,000 in a day

Atheist adverts declaring "there's probably no God" could be placed on buses across the country after a fundraising drive made five times the target amount in just one day.

Even religious groups donated money to the cause in the belief that the campaign, highlighted in The Daily Telegraph, would encourage people to think more about faith and could actually enhance support for Christianity.

Organisers needed to raise just 2,750 from supporters in order to pay for adverts doubting the existence of God to be plastered across 30 London bendy-buses for a month, after the prominent atheist Professor Richard Dawkins agreed to match all donations. Previous attempts to raise the money had failed.

But the 5,500 target was met within minutes of a page being launched on the fundraising website Justgiving on Tuesday, and after a few hours more than 31,000 had been given to the Atheist Bus Campaign over five times the amount required.

Now there are plans to get the message "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life" put on buses across Britain as well as on Tube trains in the capital.

The campaign was launched after Ariane Sherine, a comedy writer, called for a "reassuring counter-advert" to religious posters on public transport that atheists believe "threaten passengers with eternal damnation".

She said: "This is absolutely brilliant and I'd like to thank everyone who donated for their support. The sky's the limit for atheists even if we don't believe there's anyone up there."

Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the British Humanist Association, which is handling the donations, added: "If the money keeps pouring in we can expand the campaign, not just to ads inside the buses as well as outside, but to ads on the Tube or other transport, and in locations outside London."

One of the more unlikely donors was the religious think tank Theos, which was set up two years ago with the support of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, and the head of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales, Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor.

Theos gave 50 to the cause as it believes the "weak" adverts will encourage people to think about God.

Its director, Paul Woolley, said: "Initially, we almost felt sorry for the campaign, as its difficulties showed that there were not many atheists in Britain, and certainly not many who were willing to put their hands into their pockets. But when we saw the message, we couldn't believe it. snip
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-in-a-day.html

Banned

Once again, I am lamenting the lack of the applause emoticon ;)

You aren't an atheist if you say "probably".

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Some posters are so predictable. Any mention of the word "atheist" and Wilbur comes running.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Some posters are so predictable. Any mention of the word "atheist" and Wilbur comes running.
    Hey, I rarely start threads around here... just commenting on other people's threads... what's that say about what is on their mind?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    You aren't an atheist if you say "probably".
    Not really... that's called "weak" atheism. Generally, atheists who feel strongly about rationalism and reason fall into this camp.

Making absolutist statements about the non-existence of god is just as irrational as believing that there absolutely is a god. Atheists who believe that are generally referred to as "strong" atheists.

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismq...trong_weak.htm

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Not really... that's called "weak" atheism. Generally, atheists who feel strongly about rationalism and reason fall into this camp.

Making absolutist statements about the non-existence of god is just as irrational as believing that there absolutely is a god. Atheists who believe that are generally referred to as "strong" atheists.

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismq...trong_weak.htm

Atheism requires more faith than religion.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Anyone seen this bus?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Atheism requires more faith than religion.
    I suppose you think this is the case, because.... well an atheist must believe this all sprang from nothing, etc etc... being married to naturalistic causes for all things requires faith? Something along those lines? Just keep in mind, any question like that, that you can pose towards the universe, one can pose towards God (ie, where did he come from). In other words, an explanation is just made up, and then claimed as a certainty.

Most atheists will not claim certainty where we have none. They generally do not except alleged divine revelations as explanations for those gaps in certainty. I am perfectly content to say we do not know the answers to many questions... and do not think the god-explanation makes them any more resolved. That's not faith at all... that's skepticism.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Anyone seen this bus?

Should read:

"There's probably no God. But if there is, and he is the (all benevolent, loving Christian God) then we are all screwed.... wait.... what!? That can't be right.. hmm."
    Last edited by wilbur; 10-23-2008 at 08:21 AM.