Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Apparently, I have "turf toe" 
    I hurt my big toe today - injured the joint where the toe connects to the rest of my foot. It's EXTREMELY painful and the area has turned black and blue. Looked up information online and I guess the condition is called "turf toe" and is a common sports injury. (I don't play sports, incidentally.) I'm currently hobbling around. I probably aggravated the injury a bit by putting on and wearing shoes when I had to take my kids places. Wasn't much else I could do. The annual city celebration is this week and today was a day for special kids events as well as my son's tee-ball picture day. Tonight I have been resting, elevating and icing it, which seems to be helping a little. Pain meds help, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    I hurt my big toe today - injured the joint where the toe connects to the rest of my foot. It's EXTREMELY painful and the area has turned black and blue. Looked up information online and I guess the condition is called "turf toe" and is a common sports injury. (I don't play sports, incidentally.) I'm currently hobbling around. I probably aggravated the injury a bit by putting on and wearing shoes when I had to take my kids places. Wasn't much else I could do. The annual city celebration is this week and today was a day for special kids events as well as my son's tee-ball picture day. Tonight I have been resting, elevating and icing it, which seems to be helping a little. Pain meds help, too.
    Ouch!! How did you do it? (and keep in mind the internet remembers all)

This thread is worthless without pics.

Having broken a lot of foot bones (don't ask), I'd advise ice, tape, and inflexible soled shoes. Also, liquor.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Ouch!! How did you do it? (and keep in mind the internet remembers all)
    I'm not exactly sure, to tell you the truth. Might have happened at work, but the incident I'm thinking of wasn't painful at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Hell no! My toes are nasty enough without being injured (primarily via genetics, not grooming). I will not be responsible for people upchucking their last meal.

Having broken a lot of foot bones (don't ask), I'd advise ice, tape, and inflexible soled shoes. Also, liquor.
    Ice: check.
    Tape: considered, but rejected (I'd rip it off after 5 minutes anyway).
    Shoes: putting them on is the most painful part, so I don't think any other shoes would help.
    Liquor: I had my fill a long time ago.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. :)

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    get lots of pain meds!
    oh and if you have a five year old let them color the purple with markers...hurts like hell, but does look prettier

I don't suggest a pedicure. I did that about 10 minutes after I broke my toe. It's a bad move.

It's a bit better today. Was able to walk on it fairly well when I got up. Started to hurt more after being up for a while, though.

It's a bit better today. Was able to walk on it fairly well when I got up. Started to hurt more after being up for a while, though.
    Did you go to the doctor? You should. I wasn't going to go when I broke mine, but apparently the doctor was concerned about possibly having a broken bone in the foot even though it was my toe that bothered me (I didn't have a break in the foot...that came the following year!)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I agree. The more gruesome, the better.

I've been through some unpleasant and expensive dental procedures lately (hey, I am British, after all), so I'd appreciate seeing pictoral evidence of someone else's suffering to cheer me up. :D

It's a bit better today.
    Hurry up and post a pic, before it heals up completely!!!
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 06-14-2008 at 11:40 AM.