Thread: Yes on 8 v. No on 8 - Oakland, CA Political Culture War

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    I would disagree with this premise. But even if true, attraction is an element of reproduction. Why are some birds bright colors? To attract a mate.
    Well, its not a criteria I made up... certainly attraction plays a huge role. Even straight marriages/relationships arent always about attraction... power, safety and security, etc etc.

I'm not saying I agree with eugenics, or with denying homosexuals access to fertility clinics, but the aim of eugenics was to improve humanity by hurrying along natural selection. The aim of fertility clinics, artificial insemination, and surrogacy is to enable those who normally cannot have children to reproduce. This is contrary to the idea of natural selection.
    I guess all I am trying to point out is that its neither good nor bad. The fact that selection works differently in regards to humanity now that we can 'subvert the system' in some ways doesnt mean we necessarily become less fit. In fact, all the sick and diseased people provide us drive and opportunity to improve our knowledge and technology (arguably the things that will provide us with the best quality of life out of any living thing in existence)... this knowledge and capability ultimately lead to advances that allow more of us to live and reproduce.... the one certain metric of a species' success. From that point of view, 'subverting the system' makes us more fit.

This is kind of irrelevant when you're dumping your genetic material into a waste facility.
    Well, you're oversimplifying a bit.... we still don't know all the factors that cause homosexuality. It could be a mix of genetics, and environment. Could even be that the underlying genetics is common throughout the species and provides an advantage in the majority of environments (over zealous attention to personal hygiene perhaps?;P), but under the right conditions will lead to homosexuality. In that case, the genes will always be passed along. We simply don't know.

Like I said, I also have at least 3 friends who have gay parents, who were at one time involved in straight relationships before they 'came out'. So all the genetic material isnt necessarily getting dumped into 'waste facilities' even before the days of fertility clinics and sperm banks;P
    Last edited by wilbur; 10-28-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post

Iím sorry - I donít think a cult from another state should have anything to do with what people do in their private lives in mine. Thatís what.
    same shit happened in SD over tha abortion ban....didn't hear ya'll bitchin about "out of staters" then..
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    I'm saying - on this issue - it's not really any of my business and religion should stay out of politics.
    but what is it when politics attacks religion dont we have the right to say anything then?
    I have sworn on the alter of God eternal hostility to every form of tyranny over the mind of man . Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Burr View Post
    Ridiculous, Rob Reiner spent more money on prop 10 than the Mormons have ever seen. But it's good Mickey didn't pick Romney. He doesn't look as good in a bikini as Palin.
    You've never seen her in a bikini.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Every time I close my eyes.

...and it's the thought of Romney in a bikini that makes me open them again.

But yeah, big victory for the will of the people in Cali.