Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    I'm aware there was reason for the attack, and I'm not neccessarily against it, however proper channels aren't used anymore, and they make frightening precidents.
    I can imagine that Syria hasn't exactly cooperated using the normal channels. They have had plenty of time to cease and desist. The writing is on the wall. I agree with you. It is too bad.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member cat714's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    TAXifornia
    Posts
    650
    Of course Syria comes out and says children and civilians were killed. It doesn't matter what good America tries to do, it's always wrong. Other countries bitch at us for not doing enough, doing too little or doing nothing at all. It's like working for a boss who is never happy.

    We always need checks and balances when we take military force, but we should do what's best for our country. The safety of our troops is #1. I don't care about dead terrorists because they would not think twice about killing you or me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member GrumpyOldLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,304
    8 funerals today. 8 less terrorists in the world. No problem.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member marinejcksn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Penn State
    Posts
    1,820
    I don't know if I believe the level of validity to this. Was there any US media source or did the story originate from Syria? I know I'm not high up the chain and privy to this kind of stuff but I think we'd hear chatter if there was a mission crossing the line, I dunno.

    Either way, we can't continue to allow these idiots to flood into the country and if this is the only way to stop them so be it. Obviously it's not wise to stir up a hornet's vest with Syria since we're already thin as it is fighting 2 wars, so I doubt we'll do much in way of striking them without real credible knowledge of the area. I just can't see us getting clearance to cross into Syria like that, my friend is providing security on the Syrian border right now so I'll ask if he knows anything. He said they get shot at from inside Syria every day, can't do anything about it so if we hit them back this time F*ck 'em. Hope this doesn't turn out bad though.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    I don't know if I believe the level of validity to this. Was there any US media source or did the story originate from Syria? I know I'm not high up the chain and privy to this kind of stuff but I think we'd hear chatter if there was a mission crossing the line, I dunno.

    Either way, we can't continue to allow these idiots to flood into the country and if this is the only way to stop them so be it. Obviously it's not wise to stir up a hornet's vest with Syria since we're already thin as it is fighting 2 wars, so I doubt we'll do much in way of striking them without real credible knowledge of the area. I just can't see us getting clearance to cross into Syria like that, my friend is providing security on the Syrian border right now so I'll ask if he knows anything. He said they get shot at from inside Syria every day, can't do anything about it so if we hit them back this time F*ck 'em. Hope this doesn't turn out bad though.
    Syria is only a threat so long as they are useful to Iran as a staging base for Jihadis and for funneling ordnance to Hezbollah. Syria's economy is a basket case and they are completely depending on Iran for their survival (think of the relationship between Cuba and the USSR). The best COA for dealing with Syria would have been to allow Israel to destroy Hezbollah when they had the opportunity, while taking out their staging bases and encouraging their Kurds (a significant presence) and the Lebanese to expel the Assad regime from their territories.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Ignorance of the tribal nature of these people, terrorists usage of that culture away from major urban areas and the importance of Damascus in Arab and Middle East history will cause excursions like this to go deeper into yet another country. And like Israelís into Lebanon recently - it could end up expensive.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    you know logan.....I can't tell by your sig if your just that racists...or if it was meant to be funny in some off sort of way.



    would have made much more since if you'd substituted "socialist" in that remark.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemeenie View Post
    you know logan.....I can't tell by your sig if your just that racists...or if it was meant to be funny in some off sort of way.
    Itís not racist. It is historical in nature. The American voter would have defeated Obama in an incredible landslide if not for McCain following in the footsteps of "W". Itís is no more complicate than that. Put whatever semantics on that reality that makes you feel comfortable - but there it is.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Ignorance of the tribal nature of these people, terrorists usage of that culture away from major urban areas and the importance of Damascus in Arab and Middle East history will cause excursions like this to go deeper into yet another country. And like Israelís into Lebanon recently - it could end up expensive.
    Wars are always expensive, especially when you try to fight them on the cheap. The cost of not winning is always higher. Had Israel's leadership understood what was at stake in Lebanon, they would have destroyed Hezbollah, and if the world understood the future that we are facing, they'd have cheered them on instead of restraining them. As for Damascus' value as a cultural center, don't overestimate the ties that Arabs have to history. They are loyal to their tribes, but pan-Arabism is always a non-starter. Pan-Islamic jihads are far more dangerous, and we ignore those at our peril.
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Itís not racist. It is historical in nature. The American voter would have defeated Obama in an incredible landslide if not for McCain following in the footsteps of "W". Itís is no more complicate than that. Put whatever semantics on that reality that makes you feel comfortable - but there it is.
    No, you've got it bass ackwards. If the media weren't constantly telling us every awful thing that they could find or make up about Republicans and hiding everything that they find about Democrats, Obama would have been laughed off of the ballot, regardless of his race, because of his utter lack of experience and association with the most radical elements in our political class. He's a slick but empty suit, and the fact that he's leading against a man of McCain's caliber is an indictment, not of Bush, but of CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, the NY Times and the WA Post.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    No, you've got it bass ackwards. If the media weren't constantly telling us every awful thing that they could find or make up about Republicans and hiding everything that they find about Democrats, Obama would have been laughed off of the ballot, regardless of his race, because of his utter lack of experience and association with the most radical elements in our political class. He's a slick but empty suit, and the fact that he's leading against a man of McCain's caliber is an indictment, not of Bush, but of CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, the NY Times and the WA Post.
    If it was only that, McCain would still win. It does have a little to do with people's general happiness at the moment. A center-right country going for such a leftie takes some bad people before him (like Ford and Nixon to the Carter).

    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldLady View Post
    8 funerals today. 8 less terrorists in the world. No problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC News
    Three children and a married couple were said to be among the dead
    I hope you're right Old Lady, but initial reports from media outlets suggest otherwise.
    Last edited by Goldwater; 10-27-2008 at 12:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •