Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37
  1. #21  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    If it was only that, McCain would still win. It does have a little to do with people's general happiness at the moment. A center-right country going for such a leftie takes some bad people before him (like Ford and Nixon to the Carter).
    People's general happiness has a lot to do with the constant drumbeat of negativity that they get from the media. The MSM learned their lesson well from Nixon and Ford. If the president is a Republican, vilify or ridicule him at every opportunity. They failed with Reagan, partly because he was incredibly successful, partly because the American people remembered Carter, but succeeded with Bush 41, where a minor recession was trumpeted as the return of the Great Depression. Going into the campaign, Bush was riding high after Desert Storm, with over 90% approval ratings, but constant attacks by the Clinton machine and the media, not to mention a truly wretched campaign by Bush, sealed the deal for the Dems. From 2000 through 2008, the media has done everything short of blood libel to attack Bush 43, including the presentation of fabricated documents, publication of classified documents that were deliberately leaked to undermine the war on terror and the relentless mischaracterization of the administration as corrupt, incompetent and evil, in order to hand the presidency to their handpicked candidate. The MSM lessons learned are:

    1. Attack, attack, always attack.
    2. Do not allow Republicans to respond to the left's talking points (seen any McCain spokesmen on CNN?) and ensure that their message is diluted by a rebuttal from the Democrats when they do get something out.
    3. When Republicans do get their message out, attack it as dishonest, unfair, racist, sexist, fattening, whatever it takes to create the impression in the public's mind that the Republicans are the bad guys, then go to a Democrat for the last word (this is what the MSM considered being evenhanded).
    4. Do not cover negative stories about the Democratic nominee unless you're forced to, and then complain about how this distracts from the important coverage of the campaign and how unimportant it all is.
    5. Investigate and undermine the reputation of every person who supports the Republican ticket, and lie if you can't find any ugly truths (Sarah Palin's kid is fair game, as is Joe the plumber's background, but Jeremiah Wright???).
    6. Ignore the investigations of the Democratic nominee's background (see #4)
    7. Remind the voters that it's in the bag for the Democrat, and they all need to get on the bandwagon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    I hope you're right Old Lady, but initial reports from media outlets suggest otherwise.
    Initial reports from media outlets always suggest otherwise. Sometimes, they're even true, although that's not the critical criteria. The terrorists like to surround themselves with women and children because they know that we will hesitate to attack them, and if we do attack, the media will present the collateral damage as our fault, rather than as the result of a war crime on the part of the terrorists.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Bush41 was defeated for a single ideal:



    "Read my lips: No new taxes."
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Bush41 was defeated for a single ideal:



    "Read my lips: No new taxes."
    And because there was a recession. People forgave Reagan for a slight tax hike after he'd made deep cuts, because the economy kept getting stronger, but when they were told, day-in and day-out, that the economy was in the toilet and it was Bush's fault, and he couldn't respond effectively, it eroded his favorable ratings. Also remember that Clinton ran on a promise of middle class tax relief (just like Obama is now) and hardly anyone in the press questioned why a governor who'd never cut taxes had suddenly decided that he was a supply-sider, just as Obama's hostility to any tax cuts over his pitifully minimal time in public office doesn't seem to have registered. Can anyone point to a tax cut that Obama voted in favor of? Ever?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Initial reports from media outlets always suggest otherwise. Sometimes, they're even true, although that's not the critical criteria. The terrorists like to surround themselves with women and children because they know that we will hesitate to attack them, and if we do attack, the media will present the collateral damage as our fault, rather than as the result of a war crime on the part of the terrorists.
    Maybe so, but an initial report is better than nothing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado, United States
    Posts
    8,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    No, you've got it bass ackwards. If the media weren't constantly telling us every awful thing that they could find or make up about Republicans and hiding everything that they find about Democrats, Obama would have been laughed off of the ballot, regardless of his race, because of his utter lack of experience and association with the most radical elements in our political class. He's a slick but empty suit, and the fact that he's leading against a man of McCain's caliber is an indictment, not of Bush, but of CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, the NY Times and the WA Post.
    You left off another important element, the American public. We have an incredibly ignorant and gullible voting public. Blacks for example have been ensuring their own slavery by sucking off the DIMocRAT's breast every election. They have no knowlege of nor do they have any interest in learning the facts of history. They vote for the short term givaways of the Liberals thus ensuring their continued entrapment in poverty.

    The young in this country all fall victim to the FEELING they are Liberals. They are excited about the political process and that in their minds is enough. To the American voting public, we deserve what we get. If Uh-Bama is elected, more proof of our political idiocy.

    The American public is falling prey to the hand-picked Obamessiah of the media. No one seems the least bit alarmed that Uh-Bama Liberals are buying this election. One look at the Chris Mattthew's and Kieth Olbermann's adoration of their chosen clown is enough to make mature adults vomit.
    Last edited by AmPat; 10-28-2008 at 02:52 AM.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sunny,FL
    Posts
    43,417
    Well I heard on Fox a while ago we got who we were after.

    Some bozo who was "removed" from the scene. Hopefully in pieces.
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

    You Say The Battle Is Over
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake Champlain
    Posts
    152
    At this point, Bush has nothing to lose. If I was him, I would dedicate the rest of my Presidency to killing every terrorist I could get the crosshairs on. If anybody doesn't like it, so what? What are they going to do? Call him mean and belittling names?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member marinejcksn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Penn State
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by crockspot View Post
    At this point, Bush has nothing to lose. If I was him, I would dedicate the rest of my Presidency to killing every terrorist I could get the crosshairs on. If anybody doesn't like it, so what? What are they going to do? Call him mean and belittling names?
    According to Joe "Plugs" Biden, the Obama Campaign will charge Bush & Cheney for war crimes.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Senior Member GrumpyOldLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    I hope you're right Old Lady, but initial reports from media outlets suggest otherwise.
    Syrian media. The same folks that say they are not invovled in terrorist attacks and are not involved in sending insurgents into Iraq. Completely unbelievable.

    Unless something reliable says otherwise - 8 dead terrorists. No problem.
    If leftists didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •