Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Biofluorescent turtle found 
    Not sure where to post this, but I think it's really cool.

Biofluorescent Turtle Is World's First Glowing Reptile

A biofluorescent turtle found in the Solomon Islands over the summer is the world's first known reptile to exhibit the visually stunning trait.

According to National Geographic, marine biologist David Gruber of City University of New York was on assignment in July observing biofluorescence in small sharks and coral reefs when he stumbled upon the special hawksbill sea turtle. Luckily, he had his underwater camera already running.

"There came out of nowhere this fluorescent turtle," said Gruber. "After a few moments I let it go because I didn't want to harass it."
    I have two desert tortoises. They live in the back yard and have their own underground house for protection and hibernating. They roam the yard and are very good escape artists. The dogs don't bother them and they could care less about the dogs. They both have very distinct personalities. You can tell which is which, just by observing them.
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Isn't it beautiful! What a lucky find for that guy!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Wonder if it affects the taste???
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Wonder if it affects the taste???
    You should be ashamed after volunteering at the aquarium in Sarasota so many times. (I know you're just kidding). But you never did spend much time explaining the turtles to visitors---usually were at the dolphin pool yakking with your friends.

Those hawksbill turtles are really large turtles---that must have been some sight!!
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Those hawksbill turtles are really large turtles---that must have been some sight!!
    What kind to they have in Florida where they run across the road?
    Obama isn't the problem. The problem is an electorate that would vote a man like him into office.

Like this one?

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Like this one?

LOL....

I heard Rush talking about them on his show one day. Apparently they have to turn off their lights or something, otherwise the turtles run across the street towards the lights.

BTW - you mentioned two desert tortoise - true Gopherus agassizii?

I was wondering as in a previous life I picked up one on the roadside in Lea county, NM - way outside their regular stomping grounds. I was doing an independent study on my masters then and doing some census studies of herptiles. Shook the professor up pretty good until I suggested some kid probably picked it up in AZ and dad made him toss in out in NM.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    BTW - you mentioned two desert tortoise - true Gopherus agassizii?

I was wondering as in a previous life I picked up one on the roadside in Lea county, NM - way outside their regular stomping grounds. I was doing an independent study on my masters then and doing some census studies of herptiles. Shook the professor up pretty good until I suggested some kid probably picked it up in AZ and dad made him toss in out in NM.
    Yes that's what they look like. They were previously privately owned, not picked up from the wild. I'm only guessing, but one is about 20 yrs old and the other one is about 50 yrs. old. They look good and are doing fine.

The local deserts here with all their wind and solar farms have really threatened them. One thing you have to watch for, is if they get flipped over, they can't get upright on their own. Also, watch that the gates aren't open or that they can burrow under a fence, they will take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dori View Post
    What kind to they have in Florida where they run across the road?
    Usually box turtles on the road. The ones that get the most attention are the sea turtles. In the Sarasota area, the most common turtles coming to the beach to lay eggs are the loggerheads. There also are a smaller number of green turtles. At Mote, they had loggerheads, green turtles and a Kemp's Ridley that was recently released. All of them in the Aquarium were ones that could not be released into the wild due to injuries, mostly from boat strikes.

I used to have an African pancake turtle that lived in my family room (was the sons' pet). He used to hibernate and then come to the kitchen and stand in front of the frig, waiting for his lettuce and strawberries (his favorite).
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"