Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What's that have to do with the OP?
    Fairfax County Registrar Rokey Suleman is disqualifying an overwhelming majority of the military federal write-in absentee ballots received in his county on the basis that no address had been given for those witnessing the voter signatures on the ballots. According to Springfield District Supervisor Pat Herrity and four former members of the military who held a press conference on Thursday, over 98 percent of these military absentee ballots in Fairfax County are being rejected.
    If you leave things blank on a government form you're gonna have to deal with whatever comes out of it. I thought they taught you how to read directions in the military?

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    If you're too stupid to figure out a ballot, then you're too stupid to vote. Thats our method of voter screening...
    Actually, your method of voter screening doesn't even involve checking for a pulse, but that's beside the point. Personally, I'd love to hand blank ballots out to everyone and make them write in the names of the candidates that they're voting for. That would eliminate the illiterate. We also shouldn't allow the homeless to vote, based on the fact that someone who can't feed, cloth or house himself has no business directing the nation's policies. That also goes for welfare recipients, for the same reason, plus the fact that if you're receiving public assistance, you have a conflict of interest in voting for those who set the budget priorities. Finally, ballots should only be in English, since by law, all naturalized citizens must demonstrate proficiency in English to qualify for citizenship. The sole exception would be Spanish on ballots in Puerto Rico, where it is the official language.
    If you leave things blank on a government form you're gonna have to deal with whatever comes out of it. I thought they taught you how to read directions in the military?
    No, they require that we know how to read before we join, unlike a lot of colleges that I could name. The directions on the military ballot don't require an address for the witness. It's not a federal requirement, it's only a state requirement. The registrar is applying state law to federal ballots, which is illegal. You'd know this if you'd bothered to read the entire article, but I guess that the reading comprehension bit wasn't your strongest score on the SATs.
    Last edited by Odysseus; 10-28-2008 at 07:49 PM.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin..._b_138508.html

These people are equally stupid. If you cant fill out a simple government form without fucking it up you have no business taking part in our electoral process.
    I'm one of those people and I assure you that I am smart enough to figure it out. I have been voting absentee for 21 years. The problem is the stupid people in the local election offices. They seem to believe that they alone have the power to decide the accuracy of the ballots. If you have a problem with stupid voters, direct your comments to the correct audience. I suggest forwarding those comments to every liberal /DIMocRAT site you can. Remember Florida?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

On page two of the Voters’ Declaration/Affirmation-Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) at the very bottom of the form is the signature block for the “Witness/Notary and Address (if required)”. Note the instructions given to Virginia service members, “Block 7: Sign and date in the presence of a witness. The witness must sign and date the form.”

That’s it. No instruction given on any requirement for the witness to give an address
    . This has resulted in only 2 percent of the military ballots received to date including an address for the witness.
    The ability to read is sadly lacking in today's trolls.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Patent Member
    The federal forms didn't require an address of the witness, so there was no space for it.

The state requires the address of a witness in order to be valid.

When soldiers filled out the federal forms and sent them to the state, the state rejected the forms because there was no address of the witness. The state Attorney General properly informed the state election board that current law requires the state to count the votes, because Federal law trumps state law.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Military Ballots Being Rejected in Virginia
    by Connie Hair
    Posted 10/24/2008 ET
    Updated 10/24/2008 ET

Fairfax County Registrar Rokey Suleman is disqualifying an overwhelming majority of the military federal write-in absentee ballots received in his county on the basis that no address had been given for those witnessing the voter signatures on the ballots. According to Springfield District Supervisor Pat Herrity and four former members of the military who held a press conference on Thursday, over 98 percent of these military absentee ballots in Fairfax County are being rejected.

“The federal write-in absentee ballot is a federally mandated ballot that allows military service members and their dependents to cast an absentee ballot when they haven’t received a [state] ballot before the election,” Herrity said. “For them it’s a safety net. It allows them to vote if the mail truck hasn’t reached his or her remote base in Iran or Afghanistan in time to cast a regular absentee ballot.”

When asked how many ballots had been rejected, Herrity responded, “Out of the 260 military federal write-in ballots received to date, only five included an address for the witness. The other 255 have been set aside for rejection.”

On page two of the Voters’ Declaration/Affirmation-Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) at the very bottom of the form is the signature block for the “Witness/Notary and Address (if required)”. Note the instructions given to Virginia service members, “Block 7: Sign and date in the presence of a witness. The witness must sign and date the form.”

That’s it. No instruction given on any requirement for the witness to give an address. This has resulted in only 2 percent of the military ballots received to date including an address for the witness.

Rep. Tom Davis (R-VA) released a written statement, “The Fairfax County registrar is going to great lengths to register voters in the county jail. It is shameful he is going to even greater lengths to disenfranchise our men and women in uniform.”

Davis is referring to a voter registration drive conducted by Suleman in county detention centers. Calls to Suleman’s Fairfax office resulted in automatically being put on hold. I stayed on the line at one point out of curiosity and was kept on hold for over an hour before hanging up.

Calls to Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell’s office were returned immediately. Spokesman David Clemenson said, “We are aware of this situation and are working to ensure all proper votes cast are counted. We are concerned about all eligible voters but can’t comment further at this time.”

http://www.humanevents.com/article.p...t=yes&id=29181

Jailbirds can vote, but Soldiers can't. Glad to see that the registrar knows his core constituencies.
    The Herrities are crooks. The daddy, Jack Herrity, sold out his area to developers and turned much of the place into a goddamned slum. His poorly achieving children seem to be following in his footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    The Herrities are crooks. The daddy, Jack Herrity, sold out his area to developers and turned much of the place into a goddamned slum. His poorly achieving children seem to be following in his footsteps.
    You mean, by pointing out that the Fairfax County registrar is illegally ditching military ballots?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

If you cant fill out a simple government form without fucking it up you have no business taking part in our electoral process.
    I filled out my absentee ballot, nowhere on their did it say we had to include an address for the witness. It's a bullsh*t tactic to render military votes null and void. Luckily, I voted in a state without such fascist tendencies. :mad:
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    The ability to read is sadly lacking in today's trolls.
    I wasn't sure if he was going to go for it or not!

He's as dumb as I thought he was.
    Be Not Afraid.

There is no requirement to have a witness signiture unless somebody assisted you in filling out the ballot. Since an OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of military are literate and intelligent, the problem must be elsewhere. Most likely a reading comprehension problem in the registrars office.

I suspect most of these problems are present only where DIMS/LIBS are present.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand