Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Very moving letter today 
    gator
    As many of you know our younger son is the army now. Because we have a family member serving we have been involved in supporting our troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan by sending packages and mail.

A little bit ago we were given the name of a young man that had no family. He was in a Cav unit in Iraq. He was not receiving any mail at all from home. He was on his THRID tour of duty in Iraq. A fellow soldier gave his name to his mom who contacted us. We immediately sent out packages and mail.

We got a letter from the young man today and it was very moving. He said our first package was the first piece of mail he ever received from the US. Both Ms G and I had tears in our eyes when we read the letter. We have sent packages to other troops and we usually get a thank you note or letter but this young man open up his heart and we could tell the loneness. It must really be a lonely thing not to be in a combat zone and not have any support from anyone.

He will be well taken care of now, I can assure you.

God Bless our troops.

Support our troops if you can. Where everyone of you live there is some place that is collecting packages and gving out names. Get involved. Don't let a single soldier spend multiple tours in Iraq and never get one letter from the US. We owe them everything.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Good on you and Mrs. Gator!

You picked a winner to send a care package to. It feels so good to support these guys.

I have "adopted" a few service members. My first.. I sent a ton of things to, but never received replies, even though I knew that he had gotten them, and he had safely arrived home. That was okay.. he was busy. and my letter let him know that he needs to write home to his family... not me.. I am just sending support.

I received a nice thankful reply from another "adoptee", who is now home.

Another one never made it home. He sent a 3 page letter with pictures that I passed on to his family to use at his funeral service, and they did. He was buried in the Arlington Cemetery.

Edited to add... my daughter and I would be interested in sending a care package or 2 to someone who gets few of them. Maybe somebody could PM me with info. We prefer to be somewhat personal.. not "anonymous service member".
    Last edited by Jumpy; 06-14-2008 at 09:14 PM.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
    You picked a winner to send a care package to. It feels so good to support these guys.

I have "adopted" a few service members. My first.. I sent a ton of things to, but never received replies, even though I knew that he had gotten them, and he had safely arrived home. That was okay.. he was busy. and my letter let him know that he needs to write home to his family... not me.. I am just sending support.

I received a nice thankful reply from another "adoptee", who is now home.

Another one never made it home. He sent a 3 page letter with pictures that I passed on to his family to use at his funeral service, and they did. He was buried in the Arlington Cemetery.
    God bless you for supporting the troops. You are good people.

Goldwater
    gator and Jumpy, bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    gator and Jumpy, bless you.
    I echo your feelings. God bless.

John
    Start PMing me FPO address and I'll sending what I can. I guess I've been blessed with a job that hasn't been horribly effective by this recession, so I'd like to do what I can.

SLW, if you will excuse me, I am off to find a bucket.

Gators hypocrisy is making me ill.
    Sonna, if you haven't realized that one can be supportive of the men doing their jobs, but not the reason votors gave these men the job in the first place, I seriously recommend you get help at Charter. If you don't get help at Charter, please get help somewhere...otherwise try to at least develop lower cerberal function, because I'm not going to help you when you piss on yourself. Get some depends and for the love god try to stop drooling! It's offensive!

Sonnabend
    Sonna, if you haven't realized that one can be supportive of the men doing their jobs, but not the reason votors gave these men the job in the first place, I seriously recommend you get help at Charter. If you don't get help at Charter, please get help somewhere...otherwise try to at least develop lower cerberal function, because I'm not going to help you when you piss on yourself. Get some depends and for the love god try to stop drooling! It's offensive!
    I refer you to the way Gator has spoken to me and treated me recently, and abuse and insults he has thrown at people he knows, yet can be kind to strangers.

That is the hypocrisy I refer to.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    I refer you to the way Gator has spoken to me and treated me recently, and abuse and insults he has thrown at people he knows, yet can be kind to strangers.

That is the hypocrisy I refer to.
    Ah, my bad. I was on a different page. You know, the not having been here for a while and all. Either way, you're still a sexy bitch who doesn't really need depends, but the drooling is a bit of a turnoff :).

Sonnabend
    Ah, my bad. I was on a different page. You know, the not having been here for a while and all. Either way, you're still a sexy bitch who doesn't really need depends, but the drooling is a bit of a turnoff :)
    John, has anyone told you you need glasses?