Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sonnabend
    Ah, my bad. I was on a different page. You know, the not having been here for a while and all. Either way, you're still a sexy bitch who doesn't really need depends, but the drooling is a bit of a turnoff :)
    John, has anyone told you you need glasses?

John
    Glasses?!? Not even close, I need lasik to fuse coke bottles to my lenses and then I think Inertyl has special scopes they plan on mounting to my face just so I can read the credit card bill the lasik center is going to present me. I'm staring at a bottle of Dr. Pepper right now, and I have no idea what it says! I think Indiana Jones is on the label, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Glasses?!? Not even close, I need lasik to fuse coke bottles to my lenses and then I think Inertyl has special scopes they plan on mounting to my face just so I can read the credit card bill the lasik center is going to present me. I'm staring at a bottle of Dr. Pepper right now, and I have no idea what it says! I think Indiana Jones is on the label, but I'm not sure.
    You are in trouble. That's the Kung Fu Panda.:D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I've given stuff to send the troops, everything from treats to DVD's, but had no idea you could actually send letters and packages to individual troops in the field.

How does one do it? I'm sure there is a screening process, for safety sake.

But how does one go about saying I'd like to sign up to do this? Is there a link or an address?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    As many of you know our younger son is the army now. Because we have a family member serving we have been involved in supporting our troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan by sending packages and mail.

A little bit ago we were given the name of a young man that had no family. He was in a Cav unit in Iraq. He was not receiving any mail at all from home. He was on his THRID tour of duty in Iraq. A fellow soldier gave his name to his mom who contacted us. We immediately sent out packages and mail.

We got a letter from the young man today and it was very moving. He said our first package was the first piece of mail he ever received from the US. Both Ms G and I had tears in our eyes when we read the letter. We have sent packages to other troops and we usually get a thank you note or letter but this young man open up his heart and we could tell the loneness. It must really be a lonely thing not to be in a combat zone and not have any support from anyone.

He will be well taken care of now, I can assure you.

God Bless our troops.

Support our troops if you can. Where everyone of you live there is some place that is collecting packages and gving out names. Get involved. Don't let a single soldier spend multiple tours in Iraq and never get one letter from the US. We owe them everything.
    Hey gator,

Is there some way we can participate? Like send something from a food website or something to you to send?

I don't know anyone personally who is serving there, but I spent one summer making "cool ties" for troops and for the past 4 years I have been buying Girl Scout cookies as part of "Operation Thin Mint". These cookies get sent overseas. It would be great to do something for someone specific.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I've given stuff to send the troops, everything from treats to DVD's, but had no idea you could actually send letters and packages to individual troops in the field.

How does one do it? I'm sure there is a screening process, for safety sake.

But how does one go about saying I'd like to sign up to do this? Is there a link or an address?
    It is easy to send stuff to the troops. In fact the Post Office will give you a good size flat rate box that can only be sent to an APO number. You can put several pounds in the box and I think it only cost $9.00 or so to send it overseas.

You have to fill out a Customs form and list what you have in the box but that is no big deal.

The troops love snacks, magazines, newspapers, toys, and just about anything from home.

The best thing to do is get a hold of a group in your area that are supporting troops. Churches, VFW and individuals. The best source is a parent whose son or daughter is deployed. They will have names of fellow soldiers that may not be getting much mail from home.

We got the name of a Scout platoon of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment at FOB Ghazni, TF Red Currahee. These brave troopers are serving on the front lines of Afghanistan. If you remember correctly the 506th PIR is the unit of the Band of Brothers fame. We are sending packages to several of the Scouts and it is very rewarding. Those brave young men are having it rough at FOB Ghazni.