Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 69
  1. #1 Sorry - you can't really be President… 
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    >OPINION PIECE WARNING< There are no article links - this is just what I think.


    I can feel it in my bones. White folk of influence just aren’t that big. They say they are - they proclaim how broad-minded they are, their children are and the people they associate with are, but there’s an unspoken rule that you don’t let things go that far.

    "Gentleman's Agreement" (1947) Describes what I’m speaking of perfectly.

    Directed by Elia Kazan. With Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire, John Garfield.

    This film is about a journalist who passes himself off as a Jew to write an article about Semitism in America. He discovers just how this affects him, and the other people in his life. Demonstrates how racism affects a person, especially the subtle forms which may go unnoticed by many in today's world. It also shows how otherwise good people can and do contribute to racism in small, everyday, ways.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039416/plotsummary

    Great film - great message. And I think this is how this election will come down. Somehow - some way, Obama’s going to be denied a fair shot because we’re just not that big as a people yet. Another 50 years, maybe, but not now. We talk a good game - but talk is very inexpensive.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sonora, Texas
    Posts
    4,117
    Of course the fact that millions of Americans did not vote for John Kerry, who had virtually the same stances on issues that Obama did, and will vote against Barack for the came reasons can't mean anything. It HAS to be racism.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Of course the fact that millions of Americans did not vote for John Kerry, who had virtually the same stances on issues that Obama did, and will vote against Barack for the came reasons can't mean anything. It HAS to be racism.

    I understand your point, and I agree that a lot of people voting against Obama are voting against him because they don't agree with his political views or the policies he advocates.

    The difference between the Bush campaign in 2004 and the McCain campaign this year is that because Obama is black and because he has the backround and name(s) that he has, there are the claims that Obama is a muslim, that he isn't really an american citizen, and so on that wouldn't be made against him if he were white. I don't know if it's a situation to scream racism about, because he does have a muslim middle name, but it wouldn't happen to a white candidate.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,005
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I understand your point, and I agree that a lot of people voting against Obama are voting against him because they don't agree with his political views or the policies he advocates.

    The difference between the Bush campaign in 2004 and the McCain campaign this year is that because Obama is black and because he has the backround and name(s) that he has, there are the claims that Obama is a muslim, that he isn't really an american citizen, and so on that wouldn't be made against him if he were white. I don't know if it's a situation to scream racism about, because he does have a muslim middle name, but it wouldn't happen to a white candidate.
    I don't know about that noonwitch. If a white candidate had a foreign father from a Russia or Venezuela and had cousins running those countries AND he had spent his childhood in, say, Pakistan, where he had been adopted by his mother's second (Pakistani) husband AND he had been mentored by Tom Hadyn here in California (who went from Chicago Seven to state assembly) AND he went to a church where the preacher espoused a revolutionary message of white guilt and America's evil....

    wouldn't you question the guy, even though he was white?

    I would.

    I'd also want to see his birth certificate.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Another movie reference:

    [Valentine overhears the Dukes talking in the bathroom]

    Randolph Duke: Pay up, Mortimer. I've won the bet.

    Mortimer Duke: Here, one dollar.

    Randolph Duke:[chuckling] We took a perfectly useless psychopath like Valentine, and turned him into a successful executive. And during the same time, we turned an honest, hard-working man into a violently, deranged, would-be killer!

    [laughs]

    Randolph Duke: Now, what are we going to do about taking Winthorpe back and returning Valentine to the ghetto?

    Mortimer Duke: I don't want Winthorpe back, after what he's done.

    Randolph Duke: You mean, keep *Valentine* on as managing director?

    Mortimer Duke: Do you really believe I would have a ******** run our family business, Randolph?

    [Valentine's eyes widen with outrage]

    Randolph Duke: Of course not. Neither would I.


    (this is what we're really about)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    649
    What about the overwhelming amount of people voting for barak ONLY because he's black? The door swings both ways here.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    What about the overwhelming amount of people voting for barak ONLY because he's black? The door swings both ways here.
    They don't control the rule book.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    They don't control the rule book.
    What is this "Rule Book"? Where can I get a copy in print for myself?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,005
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    They don't control the rule book.
    They certainly controlled the Democratic Party rule book this year. Donna Brazile yelled "The rules are the rules!" while disenfranchising Florida (again) even though Florida Dems were in no way responsible for the date of their primary (the Republican majority in the state assembly was) and even though those Dems tried to fight it.

    I think you need to take off your 1964 glasses, LP, and update your prescription.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,319
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    >OPINION PIECE WARNING< There are no article links - this is just what I think.


    I can feel it in my bones. White folk of influence just aren’t that big. They say they are - they proclaim how broad-minded they are, their children are and the people they associate with are, but there’s an unspoken rule that you don’t let things go that far.

    "Gentleman's Agreement" (1947) Describes what I’m speaking of perfectly.

    Directed by Elia Kazan. With Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire, John Garfield.

    This film is about a journalist who passes himself off as a Jew to write an article about Semitism in America. He discovers just how this affects him, and the other people in his life. Demonstrates how racism affects a person, especially the subtle forms which may go unnoticed by many in today's world. It also shows how otherwise good people can and do contribute to racism in small, everyday, ways.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039416/plotsummary

    Great film - great message. And I think this is how this election will come down. Somehow - some way, Obama’s going to be denied a fair shot because we’re just not that big as a people yet. Another 50 years, maybe, but not now. We talk a good game - but talk is very inexpensive.

    I would love to participate in history and find a reason to vote for Obama, but (and his race has nothing to do with this) I just don't trust him. For me it's really as simple as that. He has zip for experience and a very limited (by his own choice) voting record upon which to accurately gauge just what he'll do in a crisis situation and how he really stands on issues. Most politicians say one thing to get elected and do otherwise when in office but one can usually determine how a politician will behave based on his or her past. We just don't have this with Obama.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •