Thread: Real applesauce

1. #1 Real applesauce 
    I'm going to try this. My mother used to make applesauce all the time, and now I can't stand the taste of canned applesauce. She even melted those little cinnamon "red hots" into the apples when they were cooking instead of regular cinnamon.

This applesauce should be good over potato pancakes or in a little dish. The best might be heated and put over vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Homemade Applesauce

6SHARES

Nutritional Info

• Servings Per Recipe: 6
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 80.1

• Total Fat: 0.2 g
    • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    • Sodium: 2.1 mg
    • Total Carbs: 23.0 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 3.4 g
    • Protein: 0.3 g

Introduction

Never buy the jarred stuff again! This DIY version is perfectly sweet. Goes perfectly with potato pancakes!
    Minutes to Prepare: 20
    Minutes to Cook: 20
    Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients

• 5 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
      4 tbsp brown sugar
      3 tsp cinnamon

Directions

*Place the apple pieces in a large pot and cook on medium heat.
    *Add a little water to the pot if it looks dry.
    *Once all the apples are soft (about 20-30 mins) mash the apples.
    *Add the brown sugar and cinnamon and stir.

Notes: I like to put this apple sauce on top of pancakes instead of syrup.
    For a tasty desert: warm up the apple sauce and put ice cream on top or graham cracker crumbs :)
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

I know, who'd have thought I'd respond in a cooking thread?

I've made apple sauce for several years, after (very) mentally comparing the jarred mediocrity to what I remembered my Mom having made. The KEY difference is not where it's made, but the apple varieties used. Jarred mediocrities use Red Delicious which, despite the name, is not very good. My Mom used Gravensteins, which are tart but tasty; she sugared to taste.

There are a number of varieties that I'll use, depending on availability and price: Pink Lady, Jazz, Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Pippin, and Fuji come to mind. Frequently I'll do half Fuji (which is sweet), half one of the other, more tart, varieties.

I WILL NOT use Red Delicious or Gala! Both are usually inexpensive, but, IMO, are low flavor varieties.

My family (including me) are not accustomed to cinnamon in applesauce, so I omit that.

I totally agree with using brown rather than white sugar. It brings in a little molasses flavor, and I use dark brown sugar.

I always add 1/8-1/4 tsp of salt to a batch with 12-16 apples - a flavor enhancer, not a flavor in its own right.

The result is tastily worth the couple of hours of work.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

My wife and I have been canning applesauce, among other things, for the past few years. None of what we made has any added sugar but we do can some with cinnamon. We use a variety of apples, usually Fuji, Rome, and we might even sneak in golden delicious. And we go old school using a hand crank food mill. The baby loves it.
    Deplorably Proud To Be An American