Thread: The 'legacy' question trails Bush on his European tour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The 'legacy' question trails Bush on his European tour 
    By Steven Lee Myers / Published: June 13, 2008

Legacy is a word over which Bush's aides profess not to dwell, and the president himself seems averse to reflection. "The president does not have second thoughts," his press secretary, Dana Perino, once said.

But his legacy hangs over his eight-day visit to Europe nonetheless - in interviews he has given to foreign journalists, in his friendships with European leaders, in his appearance Thursday night with Berlusconi when he had to respond to the U.S. Supreme Court's rebuke on the Guantánamo Bay prison, which remains an unredeemable blemish for many in Europe and beyond.

"The guy said, 'Now what could you do over?"' Bush said in Meseberg, Germany, when asked about remarks he made in an interview with The Times of London expressing some of the words that have earned him his reputation as a reckless cowboy: Dead or alive, bring it on, and so on.

"First of all, you don't get to do things over in my line of work," Bush went on. "But I could have used better rhetoric to indicate that, one, we tried to exhaust the diplomacy in Iraq; two, that I don't like war."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/13/europe/prexy.php
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Resident Grump
    ........and?

Self-evident.

BTW: The tit is dry Israel.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Goldwater
    I think he'll be seen as a Harry Truman a few decades from now, stubborn and unreflective, but strong.

Russert: In light of not finding the weapons of mass destruction, do you believe the war in Iraq is a war of choice or a war of necessity?

President Bush: I think that's an interesting question. Please elaborate on that a little bit. A war of choice or a war of necessity? It's a war of necessity. We — in my judgment, we had no choice when we look at the intelligence I looked at that says the man was a threat. And you know, we’ll find out about the weapons of mass destruction that we all thought were there.

Tim focused on the core of the president's legacy. This is the question that will haunt GWB for the rest of his days and those of the folks that lost everything because of his cowboy ego.

Resident Grump
    Your BDS is showing.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Your BDS is showing.
    Papa is kind of cute when he gets all Bold ,Red and Angry isn't he !

Resident Grump
    I'd say he's like a petulant five year old...but most five year olds are smarter than him

Bush's legacy? I hope it will be reflected accurately. The president with no mandate nor plan.
    Are you better off than you were 8 years ago?

See, this is the difference between liberals and conservatives. Liberals are concerned with stupid things like "legacies" and they waste their and everyone else's time trying to build them (e.g. see Bill Clinton). Conservatives are concerned with the here and now, and they let the legacies write themselves.