Thread: More insanity from Britain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 More insanity from Britain 
    A one-legged Royal Navy veteran was arrested after he rescued his neighbour from being harassed by two men.

Stephen Beerling, 52, dialled 999 and raced to help the women and her baby after hearing screams during the night.

But he was arrested when officers spotted a retractable truncheon he had picked up in case he had to protect himself.

Mr Beerling, a Liberal Democrat councillor, was arrested, locked up for 12 hours and charged with possessing an offensive weapon.

He told of his ordeal yesterday after learning the Crown Prosecution Service had decided to drop the charge against him.

Mr Beerling, of Maidstone, Kent, said: ' I am relieved, but very disappointed it even came to this. I don't blame the police but maybe they should have used their noggin. Perhaps they were a little inexperienced. The blame lies with the CPS - I just cannot understand why they wanted to press charges.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cheon.html??10

A one-legged Royal Navy veteran was arrested after he rescued his neighbour from being harassed by two men.
    Last edited by Phillygirl; 06-15-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added story details

Goldwater
    Laws involving defense of property and people are quite stupid in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Laws involving defense of property and people are quite stupid in the UK.
    Laws that prohibit the defense of property and people empower those who seek to steal and murder. If this guy hadn't been a member of the local council, he'd have probably gone to prison for possessing a weapon, while the thugs who were manacing the woman and child would have gotten off with a slap on the wrist.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Vepr
    How much more backwards can the laws get over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Laws that prohibit the defense of property and people empower those who seek to steal and murder. If this guy hadn't been a member of the local council, he'd have probably gone to prison for possessing a weapon, while the thugs who were manacing the woman and child would have gotten off with a slap on the wrist.
    One case I read about over there, a guy used a 22 rifle to defend his property from a repeat burglar, was arrested,convicted, and sent to prison. THEN the perp sued him for damages and won. Nucking futs, IMO.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Eyelids
    Somebody want to compile crime statistics in the UK compared to the US? I'm not saying these laws are good, but I would hardly say criminals are encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Somebody want to compile crime statistics in the UK compared to the US? I'm not saying these laws are good, but I would hardly say criminals are encouraged.
    It would be difficult to do since the Brits don't count crimes and convictions in the same way we do. What is true is that we have more murders among minorities over drugs and ethnicity but we have fewer rapes, home invasions, and life-threatening beatings.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It would be difficult to do since the Brits don't count crimes and convictions in the same way we do. What is true is that we have more murders among minorities over drugs and ethnicity but we have fewer rapes, home invasions, and life-threatening beatings.
    You guys have to learn to quote statistics when you talk directly out of your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    You guys have to learn to quote statistics when you talk directly out of your ass.
    I guess you're not worth the trouble.

Eyelids
    I still dont have any statistics....