Thread: Violent Attacks from Mexico on the Rise

1. #1 Violent Attacks from Mexico on the Rise 
    Violent Attacks from Mexico on the Rise

Although progress is slowly being made towards securing the southern border attacks against agents of the U.S. Border Patrol and tourists are on the rise.

“This fiscal year 744 incidents of violence have been perpetrated against Border Patrol agents, a 26 percent increase over the same time last year,” reported Department of Homeland Security Secretary Micheal Chertoff in his third “State of Immigration Address” Monday.

He said the border violence is a grim sign of progress. “That's typically what happens as you start to enforce and you make it harder, they start to fight over the shrinking pie, so to speak, and who gets the best opportunity to exploit what additional space is left,” Chertoff said. “So that's, in some sense, a good sign. The bad news is it causes a lot of violence and death and it's created a lot of havoc, particularly in Mexico.”

While DHS has witnessed more attacks on their staff, other government agencies have shown concern about attacks on U.S. tourists traveling in Mexico.

Earlier this year, the State Department issued a travel alert to caution U.S. tourists against increasing violence in Mexico that will be in effect through the summer.

Link
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Used to haul a skiff down the peninsula of Baja to go fishing from five or six sleepy little towns. No Mas.

No sport-fish in Mexican or any other waters is worth losing my rig, cash and/or life for and the fun days South of the Border are just a fond memory of the past. Mexican officials like to fain that they give a shit - but we all know better. Mexicana to Cabo - until that goes the way for the border towns.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Power CUer
    I visited Mexico for the first time in my 52 years in March, and it wasn't even the "real" Mexico; it was Cozumel. I have no desire to see more of it. If it's on a trip somewhere I want to take for other reasons, fine; otherwise I don't care to see any more of Mexico, ever. There are too many places in the world I still haven't seen that I WANT to see.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I visited Mexico for the first time in my 52 years in March, and it wasn't even the "real" Mexico; it was Cozumel. I have no desire to see more of it. If it's on a trip somewhere I want to take for other reasons, fine; otherwise I don't care to see any more of Mexico, ever. There are too many places in the world I still haven't seen that I WANT to see.
    Oh, I've seen "real" Mexico. Good call on your part.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Power CUer
    Good to know, Shannon. I figured, Cozumel is a "nice" part of Mexico, and if I didn't like that, it wasn't going to get better in the "less nice" parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Oh, I've seen "real" Mexico. Good call on your part.
    So have I. As a matter of fact part of it just walked by my office front window.:p
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Used to haul a skiff down the peninsula of Baja to go fishing from five or six sleepy little towns. No Mas.

No sport-fish in Mexican or any other waters is worth losing my rig, cash and/or life for and the fun days South of the Border are just a fond memory of the past. Mexican officials like to fain that they give a shit - but we all know better. Mexicana to Cabo - until that goes the way for the border towns.
    Its all well and good saying that Americans should avoid going to Mexico. But what if Mexico comes to you, via illegal iigration?

Time to secure the border.
    Find out what is really happening in Europe: what the European leaders don't want you to read

http://www.free-europe.org/blog/english.php

I support victims rights

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I lived in San Antonio years ago. It was getting bad then going to the border towns. My friend from the UK who married an American wanted us to go down for one last shopping trip before I returned to STL. Her hubby said NO! Seems then the bandidos were robbing the banks, strolling around the streets of Laredo with automatic weapons. Then there was the drug problem.

Have absolutely no interest in vacationing there. Have been to San Diego 3 times and have never taken that Tijuana Trolley to Mexico. Don't need the silver jewelry or clay pots at a cheap price that much!

Quote Originally Posted by FuroraCeltica View Post
    Time to secure the border.
    And we are........

SoCal’s ‘Smuggler’s Corridor’ Is Getting Crowded
    By: Jack Innis | Thursday, May 29, 2008 12:00:00 AM
    Last updated: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:06:00 PM

What’s being done to keep boaters safe off San Diego?

Operation Gatekeeper increased manpower and led to the installation of double fences, lights, motion sensors and other technology along the U.S./Mexico border at San Ysidro and part of Otay Mesa. The project was designed to force smugglers away from southern San Diego urban areas and into the rural East County, where detection would be easier.

http://www.thelog.com/news/logNewsArticle.aspx?x=7158
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

20 people killed in Mexican border city
    Jun 25 03:54 PM US/Eastern

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) - Police say 20 people have been killed in less than three days in this crime-ridden border city's latest wave of violence.

State police spokesman Cesar Ramirez says a father and son who were killed at their home while sleeping were among the victims. A third victim was a man whose body was cut up in pieces and dumped in an empty lot.

Ramirez says that this year alone more than 500 people have been killed in Ciudad Juarez, across the border from El Paso, Texas. The city is home to the powerful Juarez drug cartel and has been among the hardest-hit cities in an explosion of violence across Mexico.

President Felipe Calderon has deployed 25,000 troops across the country to wrest territory from drug gangs, which have fought back with bold attacks.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1