Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Pumpkin Pointers, Please 
    I have the following:

- 1 pumpkin
    - 1 oven
    - A jones for pumpkin bread
    - A really good recipe for pumpkin bread

There's just one problem. The recipe calls for 2 cups of pumpkin and I don't know how to prepare it for baking. I've been told I have to wash it, cut it in half, scrape out the inside, stem it and bake it, but for how long? At what temperature? How do I know when it's done? Do I have to strain it afterwards?
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Power CUer
    You'd be far better off with canned pumpkin. But since you have the real thing, treat it like any other squash. I don't know how big the pumpkin is, but you can cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and strings, and put it on a greased baking sheet (olive or vegetable oil is best), and bake it until it's soft. Bake at 350 to 375; anything higher will roast it more than you want.

Cut the skin off, and mash the pulp (pulsing in a food processor will help this step).
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

So 350 until it's soft. Are we talking cave-in soft? Can I use a blender if I don't have a food processor?

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    So 350 until it's soft. Are we talking cave-in soft? Can I use a blender if I don't have a food processor?
    Yes, cave-in soft. Use whatever you have to pulp it. Canned pumpkin often has spices in addition to the pumpkin so your recipe might need a little more of a kick in terms of spice. If you have "pumpkin pie spice" (yes, that's what it's called), just dump more of that in.

Well I think I may have screwed the pooch. I baked the bottom half until it caved in, scooped about 4 cups of pumpkin out and strained it, but I forgot to blend it. It was really mushy already though. If it turns out okay, I'll share the recipe and maybe some pics. 50 more minutes in the oven. Everyone pray for me. :(

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Well I think I may have screwed the pooch. I baked the bottom half until it caved in, scooped about 4 cups of pumpkin out and strained it, but I forgot to blend it. It was really mushy already though. If it turns out okay, I'll share the recipe and maybe some pics. 50 more minutes in the oven. Everyone pray for me. :(
    Didn't you ever have pumpkin pie.Make it the same taste and texture as that !

Power CUer
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    That's the best idea. I have a large organic pumpkin from Whole Foods. It probably will be tossed. I only got the organic for decoration because they were on sale for only $3.99. :D

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Spammer alert (not my forum for zapping - my powers are weak in this realm.)
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

So how did the pumpkin bread turn out?