Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 A Balanced Budget, Sarah? 
    Complete transcript of Sarah Palin's Cape Girardeau speech
    Friday, October 31, 2008
    Southeast Missourian

We're gonna make sure that they're secure and our economic plan too. It will help all of us afford good health care and its gonna help our students afford to pay college, thats for our students and our plan includes confronting the $10 trillion debt that the federal government has run up, $10 trillion that we are in debt and we're expected to pass that on to our children and have them pay that off for us. Again that's not right, that's not fair, that won't happen on our watch.

John and I will impose a spending freeze to cover all but the most vital functions of government and we will balance the federal budget by the end of our first term.

WTF
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

What part don't ya understand?
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...

All of it that wasn't in English... in other words, all of it.

It would have helped if the economics would have stacked up, but they didn't.

The whole thing is complete babble.

Quote Originally Posted by Ree View Post
    What part don't ya understand?
    I don't know Yoda, perhaps the $74,565.00 per American taxpayer debt magically evaporating 50 months from now. Please feel free to educate me on the math of exactly how that will happen.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

John and I will impose a spending freeze to cover all but the most vital functions of government and we will balance the federal budget by the end of our first term.
    Do you have any spaceships for sale?

A question though: What are 'the most vital functions of government'? That's a weasel statement if I ever saw one.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

About $1,250 a month for every taxpayer going to fly out of her pretty little butt? :p

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    I don't know Yoda, perhaps the $74,565.00 per American taxpayer debt magically evaporating 50 months from now. Please feel free to educate me on the math of exactly how that will happen.

You do know the difference between debt and deficit, right???

She talked about two different issues under the same topic.

She said she will confront the debt by taking on the deficit and balance the budget (deficit) within 4 years. I could balance the budget in a single year, but the special interests and the welfare state supporters would scream bloody murder. That simply requires that we stop spending. That would STILL leave us with the same debt - plus interest. To tackle that, we would need to not just end the deficit, but run an ACTUAL surplus.

This is not that I believe they actually will balance the budget, but that part is not difficult to do - in theory. In practice, it is POLITICALLY very difficult to do. The Dems would bring out the "grandma has to eat dog food" commercials and the like. The Republicans would bemoan the farm subsidies etc.
    Last edited by Constitutionally Speaking; 11-01-2008 at 04:31 AM.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Sonnabend
    Her extensive experience handling billion dollar budgets will stand her in good stead then.

Go Sarah :)

I thought most if not all states had balanced budgets.

My state (TN) has it and if we can do it, the USA can also. Paying off the debt is a different matter. Much easier to pay off debt when you actually have a budget. The US gov't has a blank check. That has to stop.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    You do know the difference between debt and deficit, right???
    "and our plan includes confronting the $10 trillion debt that the federal government has run up, $10 trillion that we are in debt and we're expected to pass that on to our children and have them pay that off for us."

Yes, I understand the difference between bullshit and horseshit - but it's still shit.