Thread: McCain seen as best choice for economy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 McCain seen as best choice for economy 
    McCain seen as best choice for economy
    Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:54pm EDT

By Jennifer Ablan

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain's tax policies have given him an edge as the better man for the economy, various Wall Street experts said at this week's Reuters Investment Outlook Summit.

But, against a backdrop of job losses and deteriorating home values, Wall Street is backing McCain's Democratic rival, Barack Obama with cold, hard cash.

McCain plans to extend the Bush administration's tax cuts, eliminate the Alternative Minimum Tax, and slash corporate taxes. Obama, who has derided the Arizona senator's plans, has pledged to raise taxes on the wealthy and introduce a broad range of refundable tax credits.

"My personal opinion is I would argue that McCain is probably the better candidate for the economy and that is more or less because of his tax policies," James Caron, head of global rates research at investment bank Morgan Stanley in New York, said at the Reuters Summit this week. "In this environment that we're in right now, the last thing you want to have is higher taxes and taking money out of the consumers' pockets," he added.
    “Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

McCain plans to extend the Bush administration's tax cuts, eliminate the Alternative Minimum Tax, and slash corporate taxes.
    Eliminate the Alternative Tax.....I hope so, whoever wins the election.

gator
    Yea right.

Continue with a three trillon dollar a year federal budget, a ten trillion dollar debt, more deficit spending and a 56 trillion dollar a year future entitlement debt. Yea, McCain is a great choice to straighten out the economy.

The only person I know that would be worse is Obama, however, both are disasters.

Banned
    It is my opinion that Obama's economic policies of raising taxes on individuals and corporations, eliminating trade treaties, etc. would spin us into a depression. McCain would do just the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    It is my opinion that Obama's economic policies of raising taxes on individuals and corporations, eliminating trade treaties, etc. would spin us into a depression. McCain would do just the opposite.
    While I'm no fan of McCain, I agree.

gator
    We are already losing our wealth and heading for a depression and none of McCain's NeoCon big government policies will do anything to slow it down. Just because Obama will make it happen a little faster doesn't mean McCain is acceptable.

Gator is so spot on with Mccain.
    Depression now or later? Only more wars to pay for with Mccain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    We are already losing our wealth and heading for a depression and none of McCain's NeoCon big government policies will do anything to slow it down. Just because Obama will make it happen a little faster doesn't mean McCain is acceptable.
    Who is acceptable to you? How do you know that McCain will take us into a depression. I am willing to take a chance by voting for him in hopes that the economy will improve. McCain has stated that he is for smaller government with less taxes. I know damn well that Obama's economic plan will taken us down the wrong road.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by vetwife View Post
    Gator is so spot on with Mccain.
    Depression now or later? Only more wars to pay for with Mccain.
    Not only wars to make Israel safe and everybody else in the world but spending for earmarks, entitlements, pork and union contracts and everything you can think of at the tune of $3 trillion a year.

McCain himself said the other day there was not any way he could even balance the budget in his first term of office and that is if he gets everything he plans from a Democrat control Congress, which is unlikely.

If any of the NeoCons think anything will change under McCain then they are doing their usual denial.

He is a slightly better choice than Obama but that is not saying much.

gator
    Who is acceptable to you? How do you know that McCain will take us into a depression. I am willing to take a chance by voting for him in hopes that the economy will improve. McCain has stated that he is for smaller government with less taxes. I know damn well that Obama's economic plan will taken us down the wrong road.
    I have said dozens of times that nobody is acceptable. The system is too broke and no elected leader is going to change anything. It just ain't going to happen.

We are just fooling ourselves by getting on the bandwagon of any one stupid politician, especially one with a history of a big governmental mentality.

The only way to restore the Republic and the Constitution now is to go through a revolution to tear down what we have and start all over. Our Founding Fathers understood that we may have to do this from time to time.

We now have three thrillion dollars a year that is controlled by less than a thousand millionares and they are not going to give it up easily. We have to kick them out and change the rules so the next batch don't do the same thing.