1. #1 Students: ‘Orient Express’ Party Racist, ‘Toxic,’ Perpetuates Tourist Privilege 
    Power CUer
    Students: ‘Orient Express’ Party Racist, ‘Toxic,’ Perpetuates Tourist Privilege
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...tudents-racist

Yes, "tourist privilege" is a thing.

Students at Clare College in Cambridge are objecting to an “Orient Express” themed party on the grounds that it’s racist, “toxic,” “gross,” and perpetuates tourist privilege.

“The vibe they are going for with the Orient Express is white people traveling in first class on a train, visiting ‘exotic’ places with the inherent sense of privilege that comes from being a rich tourist . . . it’s going to be a white presentation of these places they’re trying to represent, full of stereotypes, which is erasing and gross,” student Ploy Kingchatchaval told the Sunday Times, according to an article in the Telegraph.

According to The Daily Mail, the school was promoting the party — believe it or not — not as a racism-themed event, but one of “romance and adventure” where “the sights, sounds, and smells of this love letter to luxury travel will blend seamlessly.” But Kingchatchaval doesn’t buy it. In fact, he insists that the school was “clearly” trying to be offensive on purpose: “They clearly didn’t intend for it to be about travel because Orient is such a loaded term,” he said. (Cleaaaarly!)

“Orient Express” is hardly the only party theme that Cambridge kids have objected to recently. According to the Telegraph, a number of its students have also been complaining about a “Tokyo to Kyoto” themed event — one intended to “celebrate the diversity of world culture” — on the grounds that it was “enforcing stereotypes.”

What’s more, an “Around the World in 80 Days” themed party was actually canceled because students freaked out that it might encourage “cultural appropriation...."

"Students" aren't happy unless they complain about something. Anything will do.
    Last edited by oldcoastie1; 03-15-2016 at 10:12 AM.

I wasn't sure exactly where this was going from the headline, whether students were objecting to the name "Orient Express", whether the trip was some kind of murder mystery getaway trip inspired by the Agatha Christie novel, or what.

After all, there are so many possibilities when we are talking about people who are looking to be offended.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I wasn't sure exactly where this was going from the headline, whether students were objecting to the name "Orient Express", whether the trip was some kind of murder mystery getaway trip inspired by the Agatha Christie novel, or what.

After all, there are so many possibilities when we are talking about people who are looking to be offended.
    No kidding. I first thought of the book & movie.

Have never been to Europe, but certainly want to. Had hoped to travel for a golf trip with my Dad, visit Ireland & Scotland. For a lot of us, a European trip is a luxury.. which I still want to do at some point.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

My fortune cookie after dinner last night offended me.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    My fortune cookie after dinner last night offended me.
    But you are so easily offended!