Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 They now ask us to remove our hats during the National Anthem at Sporting events. 
    trumad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Jun-15-08 07:41 AM
    Original message
    They now ask us to remove our hats during the National Anthem at Sporting events.

Advertisements [?]
    I never understood why? I'm an ex paratrooper and have stood in many parades---in uniform----while the National Anthem was sung and we never removed our caps/berets.

I honestly think that having the choice of keeping my cap on is what the song is all about.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3455817

Trumad....YOU are so full of shit your eyes are brown! You were in no way in hell a paratrooper!
    Last edited by aka:PBS; 06-15-2008 at 09:18 AM.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by aka:PBS View Post
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3455817

Trumad....YOU are so full of shit your eyes are brown! You were in no way in hell a paratrooper!
    Either your hats or your heads !!

Wow, there are some people that have a semblance of a clue.

woodsprite Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Jun-15-08 07:46 AM
    Response to Original message
    1. We were always taught to remove our hats when the National Anthem is played.

I assumed since the hat is part of a soldier's uniform, that is the reason they've never removed them. All dignitaries and many of the spectators at our Memorial Day parade remove theirs, as well as people at my kids concert and sporting events we go to in our area.
    muriel_volestrangler DU Moderator Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Jun-15-08 07:51 AM
    Response to Reply #1
    4. Indeed - the idea of a salute is that the military shouldn't remove their headgear

The Coldstream Guards appear to have been the first to depart from this practice as a Regimental Order of 1745 reads: ‘The men are ordered not to pull off their hats when the when they pass an officer, or to speak to them, but only to clap up their hands to their hats and bow as they pass them’.

An extract from the Royal Scots Standing Orders of 1762 stated: ‘as nothing disfigures the hats or dirties the lace worn more than taking off the hats, the men for the future are only to raise the back of their hands to them (hats) with a brisk motion when they pass an officer’.
    Saluting, however, should be undertaken intelligently and only when headdress is worn.

http://www.defence.gov.au/ARMY/traditions/documents/Ori...

Civilians remove their headgear; the military salute.
    robcon (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Jun-15-08 07:57 AM
    7. I'm proud to take my hat off.

But I'm not one of those who insist others do the same.
    gollygee Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Jun-15-08 08:14 AM
    9. I don't think this is new

I've never heard of people (with the exception of people in military uniform) NOT being asked to take off their hats.
    Then there are those that are a little bit "special"

PaulHo Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Jun-15-08 07:54 AM
    5. Good question and why men and not women? nt

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

Glorfindel Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Jun-15-08 09:35 AM
    Response to Reply #5
    13. Because the sight of women's hair inflames the passions of men

and turns their minds from the pure contemplation of patriotism to lusts of the flesh. For this reason women must keep their heads covered, especially in church, lest men be led astray. For men, on the other hand, covering the head is a sign of power, and removing the head-covering is symbolic of submission. It has long been tradition that men should uncover their heads in the presence of the sovereign, and, by extension, when singing the national anthem or pledging allegiance to the flag. One removes one's hat or cap, and holds it over one's heart.
    Paint It Black (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Jun-15-08 08:17 AM
    Response to Reply #2
    10. I have not stood for the national anthem since * took office

Sorry, flame away at me if you want, but I just haven't had any pride in my country ever since * and his SCOTUS buddies blatantly stole the election in '00. His actions since that coup have only made things worse.

Hopefully Obama will be able to restore my pride in this great country.
    Tierra_y_Libertad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Jun-15-08 09:44 AM
    14. It's a good thing I don't attend sporting events. I'd have to buy a hat to keep on.
    GTurck Donating Member (139 posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Jun-15-08 10:01 AM
    Response to Reply #10
    16. I am in major trouble... Updated at 10:01 AM

because I did not stand for General Odierno at a Memorial Day event. I was not really protesting, consciously, just could not see why he merited a standing ovation. Our son organized the event and in all other ways I am extremely proud of him but on the issue of standing for the anthem, the flag or some person he his highly and self-rightgeously conventional and now he is punishing me for my lack of "patiotism". I don't always say the pledge either and if I do I do not repeat the phrase 'under God' but fall silent until we get to 'indivisible'.
    Oh, my husband didn't stand either; he was playing with our youngest grandchild.
    I am hoping Obama makes me feel like a citizen again too and the pledge becomes meaningful again as well.

Flag Code:

During a rendition of the national anthem—
    . . .
    (A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
    (B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. . . (USC Title 36 para 3010
    I said it before and I'll say it again, most people don't know this. Watch a sporting event on TV.....

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Flag Code:
    Hrm... Gee, LL, when was that written again? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Hrm... Gee, LL, when was that written again? ;)

Previous to Flag Day, June 14, 1923 there were no federal or state regulations governing display of the United States Flag. It was on this date that the National Flag Code was adopted by the National Flag Conference which was attended by representatives of the Army and Navy which had evolved their own procedures, and some 66 other national groups.
    Here you go

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Oh, sorry. I was being rhetorical. I (and hopefully most everyone else) knew it was pretty old. Thanks for the info nonetheless. :)

Went to speedway last night at the OCFG. No hats off there and you might lose some teeth.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Went to speedway last night at the OCFG. No hats off there and you might lose some teeth.
    You'll also get beat up if you use a word over 8 letters long.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    You'll also get beat up if you use a word over 8 letters long.
    Oh look everybody...Eyelids try to make a funny. :D