Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    It's not funny how much reason Christians have to worry about sending kids to college. With only a few exceptions, most colleges are set up with the purpose of removing from every student any conservative or Christian inclination they may possess. If you doubt this, Mike Adams has written extensively on that subject...and has been denied tenure due to his conservative Christian beliefs.
    Beliefs cannot be taken away from people. Students who change their beliefs during college do so of their own volition.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Beliefs cannot be taken away from people. Students who change their beliefs during college do so of their own volition.
    After being fed so much false information from people they are supposed to regard as authorities on things, it is hardly "of their own volition" it is simply a form of brainwashing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    After being fed so much false information from people they are supposed to regard as authorities on things, it is hardly "of their own volition" it is simply a form of brainwashing.
    I know that there are exceptions, and I'm sure there are plenty of examples of teachers out there crossing the line with their personal beliefs, I have to say the paranoia is just ridiculously overblown. This 'academia is out to get me' attitude is just as silly as the creationists and ID'ists who say evolution is an atheist conspiracy. The religious right can be almost as bad as the Truthers sometimes when it comes to this crap. The religious right creeping ever closer to engaging in a full out war on education. Not that all is perfect with education, but among our educational institutions in this country, post high school education does the best job far and away.

I certainly never really experienced any sort of indoctrination in college, nor encountered professors who espoused personal beliefs as fact in the subjects they taught. Besides... if a full 18 or so years of the exclusive opportunity to teach one's kid proper values and beliefs can be undone by a college professor, that really doesn't say much for one's beliefs.
    Last edited by wilbur; 06-16-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    This is what happens when you put the government in charge of education.

You think it's bad now? Wait until this generation finishes school and become teachers.

Fortunately we have Britain to to show us how to pave the way to a bright new future:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-adviser.html

The lunatic is dead on in his assessment. Sad really. Throw in the widescale use of anti-depressents and it looks even worse.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    if a full 18 or so years of the exclusive opportunity to teach one's kid proper values and beliefs can be undone by a college professor, that really doesn't say much for one's beliefs.
    It may be an indication that critical thinking is entering the student's brain for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It may be an indication that critical thinking is entering the student's brain for the first time.

True as well.

noonwitch
    I certainly never really experienced any sort of indoctrination in college, nor encountered professors who espoused personal beliefs as fact in the subjects they taught. Besides... if a full 18 or so years of the exclusive opportunity to teach one's kid proper values and beliefs can be undone by a college professor, that really doesn't say much for one's beliefs.[/QUOTE]

I went to a public university, and I have to say that I had plenty of professors who espoused their own political views, but they were a group of people with fairly diverse views. In the social work and sociology departments, I had mostly liberal professors. I had a conservative econ prof who I really liked, and some excellent conservative history profs who taught a very different perspective on the Vietnam War than sociogist profs did.

I did have the requisit radical feminist literature teacher, but I liked her. She allowed all to express their views, but I did personally love her theory comparing The Odessey to Star Trek.

Pop culture has succeeded in turning America's youth into idiots. I see it in the behavior of certain coworkers, all 20-something females. They talk endlessly about television shows, celebrity magazines, songs they have downloaded from the net, and other absolutely insipid things.

There is some good on TV, but most of it is a wasteland. Public education, in my humble opinion, sucks. State universities are overpriced, bureaucratic monstrosities that do manage to turn out some educated people but also often put the finishing touches on the New American Idiot.
    The Pittsburgh Penguins - 2007-08 NHL Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I know that there are exceptions, and I'm sure there are plenty of examples of teachers out there crossing the line with their personal beliefs, I have to say the paranoia is just ridiculously overblown. This 'academia is out to get me' attitude is just as silly as the creationists and ID'ists who say evolution is an atheist conspiracy. The religious right can be almost as bad as the Truthers sometimes when it comes to this crap. The religious right creeping ever closer to engaging in a full out war on education. Not that all is perfect with education, but among our educational institutions in this country, post high school education does the best job far and away.

I certainly never really experienced any sort of indoctrination in college, nor encountered professors who espoused personal beliefs as fact in the subjects they taught. Besides... if a full 18 or so years of the exclusive opportunity to teach one's kid proper values and beliefs can be undone by a college professor, that really doesn't say much for one's beliefs.
    Mr Smith teaches in a college. He runs in to it constantly, even as a teacher. He also has students come to him and ask about other teachers..."Is it legal for XXX to say something like this? Can I be graded down it I disagree? Is it legal for XXX to take points off my papers for this??" If you didn't run into it, it's likely because you're already so brainwashed that you don't know the difference.

With my oldest daughter, the leftist crap was not only verbal, the teacher printed it. She sent me several of them, the most memorable being that "the Bush Administration is intending to draft all young people with no deferments, including those in college and those with children." She was quite happy to hear that this was BS...but more than a little angry to find out it was actually written by Democrats.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    And here at CU we have the perfect example of a product of higher education today...the gutless, cowardly, lying waste of skin Eyelids.
    Eyelids is a perfect example of someone that is as dumb as a sack of door-knobs.