Thread: I just talked with my 19 year old godson deployed in Afghanistan using Yahoo IM.

1. #1 I just talked with my 19 year old godson deployed in Afghanistan using Yahoo IM. 
    elocs (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-02-08 01:32 PM
    Original message
    I just talked with my 19 year old godson deployed in Afghanistan using Yahoo IM.
    Advertisements [?]He is in the Korengal Valley, maybe the worst place to be deployed anywhere and he thinks that things are going well, that the people there like and support our troops and that they have the border with Pakistan secured. He believes that only people who have been there should make decisions about Afghanistan and that civilian leadership should get out of the way. He hates politics and so thankfully I am sure that he did not vote. It was a bizarre conversation and I have heard nobody else make the claims that he did about how things are going there.

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x4355515

wildbilln864 (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-02-08 01:36 PM
    Response to Original message
    3. considering that everything he writes is monitored...
    I'm wondering if that's what he really believes.
    Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
    elocs (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-02-08 01:44 PM
    Response to Reply #3
    6. I think that is what he really believed because he got pissed at me and simply left.
    I reminded him that it's the Constitution that put civilians in charge of the military and that he took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. I told him if he was unwilling to do that he maybe should find another country to live in and he replied that he would do that. I don't think he can see the forest for the trees.
    Thanks to SarasotaRepub for your help! :D

Resident Grump
    SheWhoMustBeObeyed (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Nov-02-08 02:37 PM
    16. My nephew is in the same vicinity

He knows I'm liberal, I know he's conservative and that's that. I never talk politics. I just ask him what he wants in packages from home. He's my beloved nephew in a dangerous place, is all that matters to me.

USPS makes it fairly cheap to send packages to military bases. Flat rate boxes are free and ship for 11.95 (though the one I send yesterday was 9.13, I don't know why). Here are things that are always appreciated:
    Candy (any kind that won't melt)
    Powdered drink mixes
    DVDs
    Sanitary wipes (baby wipes work)
    Small toiletries
    T-shirts in dark colors
    Favorite magazines

I also save issues of The Onion and local free papers - they're good for packing and give him a taste of home.
    Ma'am, you get a hug.

Thank you for understanding what's important, and what isn't. May they all come home safe and sound. :)

elocs Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Nov-02-08 02:47 PM
    Response to Reply #17
    19. I do not know where his head is at, but he was pretty indoctrinated by the military

before he enlisted because he attended one of those Nation Guard challenge schools for troubled youths. One of my problems with him is that I have sent him probably a dozen boxes and spent hundreds of dollars in doing it and he just cannot bring himself to thank me or almost anybody for what he gets in spite of the fact that he is online nearly everyday and logs into his MySpace account. His own mother is so disappointed in his attitude that although she does send him some stuff she has taken to sponsoring a few other soldiers there who express their gratitude for what they get.
    Maybe you are the one that needs to be thanking him for keeping your sorry butt safe.

elocs Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Nov-02-08 07:34 PM
    Response to Reply #26
    31. He is a kid who is self centered, has gotten everything and appreciates nothing.

Somewhere on this earth there is a black hole that is filled with all the stuff which he has "lost" throughout his life. His mom spent a good deal of money to buy him a laptop computer to take with him and only asked that he would keep in touch, but he doesn't. There has been times when he is not heard from for weeks, but you can see that he often logged onto his MySpace account. I have sent him stuff and asked him about it and get the reply, "I get too many boxes". That kind of answer is what has caused his mom to send more stuff to other soldiers. I have known him most of his life and his attitude is very disappointing.
    Yes because only self centered brats that appreciates nothing and has been handed everything in his life makes the huge sacrifice to go help other citizens of the world lead a better life.

The type of people elocs describe do not make it through basic.

I know many soldiers that consider receiving more than one box too many, The boxes I have sent have contained large amounts of stuff to be shared with everyone in the unit. A soldier looks upon his squad mates as brothers and wishes that they get the same types of things as he receives.

4. #4 Go 
    They complain he is spoiled. They bombard him with care packages. Constantly demand his attention. Then tell him how wrong his veiws about a war HE is fighting in are all wrong. Who's the selfish one? What a bitch.
    ________
    Video Reviews
    Last edited by Scarlet; 04-18-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill inGA View Post
    Original message
    I just talked with my 19 year old godson deployed in Afghanistan using Yahoo IM.
    Advertisements [?]He is in the Korengal Valley, maybe the worst place to be deployed anywhere and he thinks that things are going well, that the people there like and support our troops and that they have the border with Pakistan secured. He believes that only people who have been there should make decisions about Afghanistan and that civilian leadership should get out of the way. He hates politics and so thankfully I am sure that he did not vote. It was a bizarre conversation and I have heard nobody else make the claims that he did about how things are going there.

But what would that soldier in Afghanistan know? /sarcasm

Yep, DUers who post from the safety of their american basements are a better source for Ground Intelligence around the world.

Resident Grump
    elocs Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Sun Nov-02-08 07:54 PM
    Response to Reply #23
    33. It is important to vote and I have encouraged my godson in the past to pay attention to politics.

I know he thinks that Bush is an idiot, but he is willingly and almost proudly ignorant about what is going on in the political world because he hates politics no matter how much it impacts his life. He is joyful about the New GI Bill of Rights which will give him an education when he gets out and I have told him that he should thank the Democrats for that. Unfortunately, had he voted he would be less than a low information voter--he would be about as close to a no information voter as one can get. He just doesn't care enough to be bothered to find out anything about political matters and so is not interested in voting. Considering his attitude I support him in that decision.
    Translation

Pres. Bush is an idiot
    The man in Afghanistan is an idiot.
    If you disagree with my enlightened position you are an idiot.

My my, arent we arrogant...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill inGA View Post
    Original message

:mad:

What an @sshole! Way to boost his morale, while he's 1,000s of miles from home (probably a lil homesick) sitting in a war zone. I got to IM my sister a couple of weeks ago, even got to see her on the webcam (it was so great to just see her, although she looked a lil thin). Politics didn't come up, we talked about family stuff, how much we miss each other, asked her if she got the care package I sent(full of halloween candy, magazines, letters from me and the kids) oh, and we talked about all the things we want to do when she comes home safe and sound. Not once did I mention how horrible it is over there(hell she's the one there, she knows what's going on good or bad) or how " it's the Constitution that put civilians in charge of the military and that she took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States" and if she doesn't like it "maybe she should find another country to live in". I mean WTH!

I'm sorry this just pisses me off. Regardless of how good or bad it is there, I know how homesick my sister and alot of other troops are over there. Not to mention how bad the internet sucks, IMing is no easy task(we've tried several times, only worked a couple), believe me, most of the time they can't get it to work and when they do there's usually a lot of lag and it drops out constantly. The time they get to IM or chat online is very precious to them, and to have someone ruin that time for those there just ahhhh... there aren't words for how angry and sad that makes me.

:mad:

:(
    “Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
    ― C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post

SheWhoMustBeObeyed (1000+ posts) Sun Nov-02-08 02:37 PM

16. My nephew is in the same vicinity

He knows I'm liberal, I know he's conservative and that's that. I never talk politics. I just ask him what he wants in packages from home. He's my beloved nephew in a dangerous place, is all that matters to me.

USPS makes it fairly cheap to send packages to military bases. Flat rate boxes are free and ship for 11.95 (though the one I send yesterday was 9.13, I don't know why). Here are things that are always appreciated:
    Candy (any kind that won't melt)
    Powdered drink mixes
    DVDs
    Sanitary wipes (baby wipes work)
    Small toiletries
    T-shirts in dark colors
    Favorite magazines

I also save issues of The Onion and local free papers - they're good for packing and give him a taste of home.
    Ma'am, you get a hug.

Thank you for understanding what's important, and what isn't. May they all come home safe and sound. :)
    Atleast one of them 'gets it'. I would also add to that list from SWMBO, my sister has asked us to send those dry soup and pasta cups that you can add water to and microwave. The "chow house" is a mile from her barracks so she eats breakfast and lunch there(it's close to her duty station) but doesn't want to walk a mile after dinner. We've been sending them for a while now, but the last time we IMed she'd run out and said that was why she'd gotten a little thinner.

:(
    ― C.S. Lewis

I can't read anymore of that thread, now I'm crying. Those DUmmies disgust me.
    ― C.S. Lewis

Eyelids
    I have a pretty good friend in Afghanistan and I and a few friends got together over the summer and bought back his HS football jersey and mailed it to him. The jersey had only been taken once since we've graduated (and it had to have been by somebody who never played because he said he recognized some of the gress stains), so we didn't have much trouble. We also mailed him a People magazine for him to wipe his ass with. People didn't recieve nearly the positive feedback the jersey did unfortunately.