Thread: Lifelong Republican Comes to Obama/Jesus Bouncy

1. #1 Lifelong Republican Comes to Obama/Jesus Bouncy 
    Soilent Brice Donating Member (71 posts)
    Mon Nov-03-08 12:31 PM
    Original message
    My Encounter With a Lifelong Republican

I don't post very frequently, but this story is a must-share.

I lived in Phoenix for a few years, and just recently moved back to Cincinnati. I know, out of the fire - into satan's asshole.

My wife and I were enjoying a nice Sunday afternoon out, the first in a long while. My mother-in-law had our kids for the afternoon.

We had decided to go for the coveted cheese fries at Outback Steakhouse, (a request from my wife who is now well into our third pregnancy).

We arrived about 10 minutes before they opened, so we sat in the parking lot chatting about the election. What happened next was something that has me believing that Ohio will be blue come November 5th. A man in his early 50's walked past our car and yelled "Obama Biden '08!!"

The reason for this was in reaction to the Obama/Biden car magnet on the back of our car (which ironically is directly to the left of my Arizona plates, which generates enough curiosity and questions as is.). I replied to him, "Right on!! Let's make it happen!!" He stopped, and walked back to the car. This is where my beloved, yet socially challenged, wife began to panic. What came out of his mouth was something much more shocking than anything we would have guessed.

This man of his early 50's, a resident of the Mason/Landen, OH area (one of the richest suburbs of northern Cincinnati)begins to speak of the change he has experienced in his own life over the last year. It turns out he has been a lifelong long Republican. He has voted for Reagan, GHWB, GWB both times, and has now come to realize what has been done to this country. He went on to explain that a lot of people in his family, also lifelong republicans, have begun to really absorb the damage in it's entirety as well.

He said he simply could not, in good conscience, vote Republican any longer. He attended a rally earlier this year, and again at Ault Park, (where I had the pleasure of seeing Obama as well) and said that it helped him realize just how bad things have become.

He works at a Ford plant in Sharonville that was rumored to be closing, until sizeable donations from the States of Kentucky and Ohio, led by Strickland. This was his personal issue that lead to his revelation, and subsequently lead to his newfound love of the Democratic Party. He asked rhetorically, "how much more would the republicans have allowed to happen to us before it was all over?"

This question resonates louder for me now than ever before. How bad would they have really let it get had we not acted and fought back this time? It boggles the mind that a lifelong republican could actually come to the same realization.

We finished our chat, which was quite pleasant and refreshing considering some of the other disasters with republicans I have experienced before. They opened the doors, and we had our cheese fries. The discussion between the wife and I was that of electricity at the thought of Ohio turning blue. I have goosebumps just thinking about it now. My wife asked, "it's really going to happen this time, isn't it?" To which I replied, "yes hun, it really is going to happen this time."

Lifelong Republican attends an Obama rally and realizes the error of his Republican voting ways. Then a rumored plant closing cements his love for the Democrat party.

1/2 bong for the conversion.

LINK: http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x4361574
    Last edited by Eilise; 11-03-2008 at 01:04 PM.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Oh noes! We've lost another "lifelong Republican"!
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

No bongs. Totally unbelievable that they would glean that much information from a guy in a parking lot.

As Rush says, once you have learned to vote against Liberalism, you never go back. It took me years to deprogram myself from the brainwashing I got in college, but now I will never vote for a liberal again.

I do believe the guy walked by and yelled Obama/Biden, and I do believe that he came back and talked to them, but instead of all this bouncy bull he posted, I'm sure the guy simply panhandled them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilise View Post
    Lifelong Republican attends an Obama rally and realizes the error of his Republican voting ways. Then a rumored plant closing cements his love for the Democrat party.

1/2 bong for the conversion.

LINK: http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x4361574
    It seems the left wing blogosphere is FILLED with these type of phony encounters. EVERYONE seems to have had an encounter with an unnamed friend/relative/acquaintance/co-worker/total stranger who is a "lifelong republican", now voting Democrat for "the first time".

Resident Grump
    1/8 of a bong and no water.

Must try harder.