Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1 Veteran Forms and Record Retrieval 
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Obtaining Unit Records: Army U.S. Army Personnel Rosters and Morning Reports are available from: the National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO. 63132, 314-538-4261. The request must be made in writing. State that the request is a Freedom of Information ActRequest and give complete unit information (as specific as possible including company and platoon), and month and year of the roster/reports that you are requesting. Because the quality of the records can be poor, it is advisable to ask for rosters a few months before and after the actual month you are looking for.

    There are usually no fees charged for "Freedom of Information Act Requests." Turnaround time can be very slow. Plan on several months. Operations Reports/Lessons Learned (ORLL) and other primary source material about Army units in Vietnam such as radio logs, unit journals, and after action reports, are stored at the Textual Reference Branch, National Archives II, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001, 301-713-7250, fax 301-713-7482. Call and ask to speak with an Archivist specializing in the Vietnam War before going to the Archives. They can assist in determining whether materials you are interested in are available and explain how to obtain a researcher's card to examine the documents. Similar reference assistance may also be obtained from: the U.S. Army Center for Military History, 1099 14th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005, 202-761-5413, and the U.S. Army Military History Institute, Bldg. 22, Upton Hall, Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, PA 17013-5008, 717-245-3611, fax 717-245-3711.

    Obtaining Military Records: Army Complete military and medical records, including DD-214s, can be obtained by veterans or their next of kin, if the veteran has died. Non relatives may also request this information, but what they will receive will be limited and will not include date of birth, official photo, records of court martial for active duty personnel, medical information, social security number, or present address. State that the request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act. Requests for military records must be made on a government form, SF 180. This form is available on the Internet at

    Scroll to the bottom of the page, as the SF 180: Request Pertaining to Military Records is the last one listed. You may also call 314-538-4261 and leave a message to have a form sent to you. You cannot request an entire file, each document must be named and only those named specifically will be provided. Names of documents include unit orders, awards and commendations, efficiency reports and ratings, promotion orders, records of court martial or other disciplinary actions, assignment and reassignment orders, photographs, qualification records, and report of separation(DD-214).

    When requesting medical records a statement should be included that they are needed by a current physician. If information is being requested regarding a specific injury or illness, that should be specified. If records regarding hospitalizations are needed, provide the dates that the hospitalization occurred and the name of the hospital. Send the SF 180 to the National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. Expect a significant waiting period before receiving the information. Requests citing VA claims and medical emergencies receive priority.

    Obtaining and Replacing Medals: Army Form DD-214 and/or the awards and commendations document from the veteran's military records will list awards, commendations, and accompanying medals earned. Medals can be replaced by sending a copy of these documents and an accompanying request to: Commander, U.S. Army Reserve Personnel Center, ATTN: DARP-PAS-EAW, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5200 Sunday, May 25, 2003 Veterans' care squeezed by VA


    Last edited by vetwife; 06-17-2008 at 04:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote  

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts