View Poll Results: How long until the Republicans decide they want small government again?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Today or tomorrow. After the alcohol wears off.

4 12.50%
  • January 20th, 2009

6 18.75%
  • A year from today.

4 12.50%
  • Just prior to the 2012 election.

11 34.38%
  • What are you talking about? The Republicans have always been for small government.

7 21.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 How long until the Republicans decide they want small government again? 
    Tough break on the election thing, guys.

So now that the other team's won the big house, how long until the Republicans decide they want small government again?

I don't when they'll decide it, but that's when I'll vote on a national election again.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    I don't when they'll decide it, but that's when I'll vote on a national election again.
    It could take a decade.
    The "conservative elite" need to go first.

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    It could take a decade.
    The "conservative elite" need to go first.
    Term limits would be a good start to weeding them out.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    True conservatives have always been for smaller government. Unfortunately, there are far too many elected Republicans who don't feel that way. They are the ones who need to go. I'm afraid it will take a long time.

I voted wrong....I'm not sure the Repubs will ever go to small gov....But I believe a "small gov" party will make some headlines by 2012...
    I believe less than a year from now there will be a wakeup call for Conservatives...
    Say what ya mean and get to the point quick....I don't have the attention span to listen to bullshit...

I'm voting for the Joooos, because the congressional Republicans don't want smaller government at all. If they did, they would have reduced the size of it in the decade that they had Congress instead of doubling the size of it.

I think your larger point here, Feeb (which I agree with) is "are the 'party loyal' Republicans going to be suckered in by false promises of smaller government that the remaining Republicans in Congress will inevitably wave in our faces to keep their seats?" The answer is simply 'it doesn't matter.'

The party loyal will vote Republican if they promise smaller government. The party loyal will vote Republican if they promise bigger government. The party loyal will vote Republican if they promise only government. The Republicans will promise these things, probably pick up a few lost seats, break all their promises, be thrown out again, and the cycle will begin anew.

Maybe once there are more Independent voters than Republican voters, the ma-and-pa's will start jumping ship, but until then...

"...the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can "throw the rascals out" at any election without leading to any profound or extreme shifts in policy." ~ Carol Quigley, Tragedy and Hope
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

When were the Republicans ever the party of "small govt"? I know they talk a good talk, but someone please tell me what Republican president or congress ever rolled back any entitlement program. All I see is FDR's New Deal and LBJ's Great Society grow and grow and grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    I think your larger point here, Feeb (which I agree with) is "are the 'party loyal' Republicans going to be suckered in by false promises of smaller government that the remaining Republicans in Congress will inevitably wave in our faces to keep their seats?" The answer is simply 'it doesn't matter.'

The party loyal will vote Republican if they promise smaller government. The party loyal will vote Republican if they promise bigger government. The party loyal will vote Republican if they promise only government. The Republicans will promise these things, probably pick up a few lost seats, break all their promises, be thrown out again, and the cycle will begin anew.
    More or less, though I think we'll see the change among the party faithful too. Obama is bound to do something that Bush would have or did and the party faithful will decry Obama's doing it with "Bad! Government is not the answer!"

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    "...the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can "throw the rascals out" at any election without leading to any profound or extreme shifts in policy." ~ Carol Quigley, Tragedy and Hope
    That just about sums it up.