Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Two weeks in Amish country? Good God, man!
    Transportation around the area can be pretty slow.

A good chunk of that I am going to be at a gaming convention while the family goes out and hits Hershey Park and travels into the hinterlands to see people put together furniture with wooden pegs and drive slowly down state roads clogging traffic in buggies. :D

Plus we are visiting friends in the area.

Me, I'm going to be spending as much time as I can cooping up at the hotel pool with a bucket of Honey Wiese and a few good books and seeing how ladies swim suit styles have changed lately.

It's like anthropology field work. :D

I'm going to Playa del Carmen to an all-inclusive resort woo hoo! I'm going to see Chichen Itza, go swimming with dolphins, and drink all I want for free at the swim up bar :D
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    Two weeks in Amish country this July with the family. Lancaster PA with side trips.
    Very cool. Let me know if I can help you out with any ideas for side trips. Beautiful country and there's lots to do within an hour of any direction. Are you going to hit Hershey Park?

ETA: Just read your follow up post...Hershey Park it is!!

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug68 View Post
    I'm going to Playa del Carmen to an all-inclusive resort woo hoo! I'm going to see Chichen Itza, go swimming with dolphins, and drink all I want for free at the swim up bar :D
    Very fun!!! I am not permitted at any swim up bars any more!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Very fun!!! I am not permitted at any swim up bars any more!
    May I inquire why? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug68 View Post
    May I inquire why? :D
    Because the more alcohol I drink the more fluent in Spanish I believe myself to be. However, apparently I'm only fluent in asking "make it a double please". :D

Hey!!!! I live here!! :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Because the more alcohol I drink the more fluent in Spanish I believe myself to be. However, apparently I'm only fluent in asking "make it a double please". :D
    Nothing wrong with a few doubles :p

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    A good chunk of that I am going to be at a gaming convention while the family goes out and hits Hershey Park and travels into the hinterlands to see people put together furniture with wooden pegs and drive slowly down state roads clogging traffic in buggies. :D

Plus we are visiting friends in the area.

Me, I'm going to be spending as much time as I can cooping up at the hotel pool with a bucket of Honey Wiese and a few good books and seeing how ladies swim suit styles have changed lately.

It's like anthropology field work. :D
    If you are in Lancaster County, you will be terrifyingly near me. YIKES!!! If you want any tips on avoiding touristy commercialized places, let me know. I hope you get away from the tourism, and find little local places, which are the best, and not nearly as expensive.

Places like the Sales Stables, where all of the Amish, and others, sell, and buy livestock.. beautiful horses auctioned off, if you like that sort of thing. Local diners where you can eat good, greasy, for REALLY cheap. Great for breakfast. The BEST place that I know of to eat, if you want to sit down, and have a really good meal is with a local Amish family that will take you into their farm home, and sit down and eat with you, if they have time... the kids help to prepare and serve, etc. Like a family style meal, only this is not a restaurant.. it is pretty hush-hush, and they do not advertise at all. It is practically in my backyard, and they are not even in the phone book... mostly just word of mouth. They suggest a $14. donation, per person.. kids are less, I am sure. I am sure that you are free to tour the farm as well.

If you want any info.. just ask. If you have any questions at all, while you are here, I would be happy to give you my cell number. I hope you have a great time in Lancaster County, and Hershey, PA.